Thread: Crossroads Inn

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Wip Crossroads Inn

This is progress on the first in a battle map set I am working on. I am still working on getting the textures looking good on this wood. I am hoping that once I get the lighting and shadow work done that it will come alive. Any tips or pointers are very welcome.

So far, this map is 1000x1000 and comes in at a low 173K. Well under my 1MB limit. I am so happy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Progress 2.jpg 
Views:	393 
Size:	172.6 KB 
ID:	112376  

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Discuss

Nice start.

Doing something as precise as a building always has its challenges. So, well done so far .

One thing I want to point out, the beds look like they are leaning on top of the walls, it breaks the immersion just a tad, so maybe check it out. (Might work to place the beds on a layer beneath the wall layer.) Good luck with the rest.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Thanks for the feedback. I corrected those as well as a few more issues. I will do an update soon.

Guild Apprentice

I'm assuming this map is intended for VTT use and, given your mention of 1MB limit, that it is going to be used in Roll20. Is the image you posted full-size? If so, it's pretty low resolution for even Roll20 which expects like 70 pixels per 5' grid square.

EDIT: I see from another post that you are using FG and that you normally use 50 pixels per grid.

I love the shading and foliage. The wood textures are nice which makes the rather flat and cartoony beds stick out. Maybe you could put some color into them and make a few different? Also mix up the positioning of them a bit. Put some horizontal against the outside wall. Some on the left and some on the right as you enter the room. Maybe a couple a little cockeyed in the rooms.

It's a matter of personal taste but I like a non-directional drop-shadow around the furniture pieces to make them stand out a bit from the floor. Same around the walls. Then put the beds in between the wall shadow layer and the wall proper layer.
    Last edited by Phergus; 01-04-2019 at 10:46 PM.