Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Smuggler's lair (Tavernier's tutorial)

I’m very familiar with Guillaume Tavernier’s work, and I have to say that I’m impressed how well you managed to include all the essentials of the style while still making it your own in a sense. Great work!

Cheers,
    Karl

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    Jesus, man. It just blows me away how fast you improve. Which is not to say your previous maps haven't been good, because they all are, but you are progressing so rapidly and each is just better and better than the last! This is going straight to my inspiration folder and I'll be checking out that tutorial. The colors are just perfect. This is easily one of the prettiest dungeon maps I've seen. Love it!!!
    Wow ! That's some nice words !!! I'll keep them close for harder times
    It's strange to read you, because I had'nt the feeling to make progress... I'm still changing styles with almost every map, and each map is a kind of new discovery for me : new techniques, new tools, and I feel like an abolute beginner each time. But regarding what you wrote, I must have learnt some bits here and there... Which is good news and comforting !
    From my point of view, I'm still trying to copy the work from others (which is easier than finding your onw style... and I'm still looking for it) I hope I'll find my own "character" one day (like your maps : they're all different, but they have that strong character which is unique, like a signature).
    Anyway ! Thanks a lot... and I'm looking forward to see what you can do with this tutorial !

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Lafia View Post
    At first sight, i thought it was the one from the tuto too Spectacular work JO and many thanks for sharing the link, it is very inspirational indeed! I always wanted to try my hands at isometric dungeons one day ... and it seems the day came a lot closer now...
    Thanks a lot ! I'm looking forward to see yours soon ! Let's all try one map fellowing this tutorial ! We could achieve a super isometric dungeon !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Absolutely magnificent!
    Thanks ! It means a lot coming from you !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    Spectacular work JO. It's almost like Guillaume map. I also thought you just took his linework and colour it at first... it is proof just like good you are.
    Thanks a lot ! You know how I love all your maps !!!! so... thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    That is so good. Like J.Edward I also thought you were sharing one of Guillaume's map from the thumbnail. I've had that tutorial opened up in a tab for many days, since he put it up, but still haven't gotten around to it. I think I need to get on that with inspiration like this.
    Thanks a lot ! C'mon ! let us all try !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tenia View Post
    Superbe, you got the colors and light effects I think
    Thanks a lot ! I really tried to fellow the tutorial step by step, even for colors. It's true Guillaume Tavernier has this particular palette : the green for the grass and the blue for the water are really "eye catching" and it produce this special atmosphere... I'm sure we can all use these colors for others map and achieve the same "eye catching" effect ?

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    That's great, Jo ! I look forward to see how you'll turn what you learned there in your future maps !
    Thanks Misty ! I'm not sure I can use these techniques for proper maps ? But I find that you never knows when what you learned comes back (really poor english... I meant : on ne sait jamais vraiment quand et ou ce qu'on a appris réapparaît au cours d'un dessin, non ?)

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanCR View Post
    This is great - I really like the colours, especially on the water! My only (minor) criticism is that the perspective is a little off on the tops of the pillars - they don't seem to be level with the tops of the walls. But it's not very noticeable. The whole thing is beautifully atmospheric - I'd love to see more of this kind of thing.
    Thanks a lot ! You are very true ... I always struggle with perspective. Here, I used a self made grid (as explained on the tutorial), but I think the grid was a bit too wide and I was too far from the grid for certain lines (includes the pillars). I should work more precisely with perspective...

Quote Originally Posted by The Lazy One View Post
    You did a great job, and i did not know the tutorial above! I'll try to experiment a bit with that too, thank you!
    Thanks !
    And you should try it ! If you go step by step, it's really not so hard (even if, of course, Guillaume Tavernier has a lot more experience and technique !)

Quote Originally Posted by tainotim View Post
    I’m very familiar with Guillaume Tavernier’s work, and I have to say that I’m impressed how well you managed to include all the essentials of the style while still making it your own in a sense. Great work!

Cheers,
    Karl
    Thanks a lot Karl !
    As a fan of your work, your words means a lot for me !!! I'm glad you're a fan of Guillaume too !
    Have you taken part in his new project ?

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    Wow ! That's some nice words !!! I'll keep them close for harder times
    It's strange to read you, because I had'nt the feeling to make progress... I'm still changing styles with almost every map, and each map is a kind of new discovery for me : new techniques, new tools, and I feel like an abolute beginner each time. But regarding what you wrote, I must have learnt some bits here and there... Which is good news and comforting !
    From my point of view, I'm still trying to copy the work from others (which is easier than finding your onw style... and I'm still looking for it) I hope I'll find my own "character" one day (like your maps : they're all different, but they have that strong character which is unique, like a signature).
    Anyway ! Thanks a lot... and I'm looking forward to see what you can do with this tutorial !
    We can all be a bit blind from time to time to our own progress - sometimes it takes others to point it out. But I did mean every word, you truly have advanced in leaps since you first showed up on these forums. And I feel the same way! I haven't settled on a style yet either, and I don't seem to be able to make two identical maps even if I try. It's interesting that you think my maps have a coherent character to them, because I don't really see it. But what is our own style but just a combination of little bits and pieces we've copied elsewhere
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Outstanding work Joel !
    The colors, the lights & shadows, the line art... Everything is top notch and superb. I agree with my fellow guilders, I thought it was one of Guillaume Tavernier's map at first .

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    We can all be a bit blind from time to time to our own progress - sometimes it takes others to point it out. But I did mean every word, you truly have advanced in leaps since you first showed up on these forums. And I feel the same way! I haven't settled on a style yet either, and I don't seem to be able to make two identical maps even if I try. It's interesting that you think my maps have a coherent character to them, because I don't really see it. But what is our own style but just a combination of little bits and pieces we've copied elsewhere
    Words of wisdom !!!

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    wow ! I'm proud to have misled you regarding the author or this map !
    Thanks John... I was looking a bit in your finished maps, but I could'nt find that kind of dungeons. Have you tried it already ?
    Not yet, no. I've seen a few of Guillaume's other vids and had planned to try it out at some point.
    But, for me, i am not sure i would get into that kind of map, and i have to think of clients seeing a thing and then wanting me to do that for them.
    So, sometimes I don't take certain directions for that reason. Or don't show things i have done.
    Also, as much as i like those maps.. I'm not sure how they would get used in a rpg game.
    They're great for concept and visualization, no question. And gorgeous things to look at as well.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast