Thread: Need some tips of how to improve my map

Default Need some tips of how to improve my map

Hello, I'm new here and I tried to follow some guides.

Need tips of how to create proper borders between the kingdons, proper roads and forests for this map.

Also, there is any way to show in this map that there is a desert at the south of the orange kingdon and snow in the north of the purple kingdom?

Last edited by Amanda91; 01-15-2019 at 12:57 PM.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Hi

I can't really talk about kingdom borders, but I can talk a bit about roads. Simplest way you can keep consistent with how your roads look, is choosing a hard round brush, UP the spacing and just draw the line of where the main roads go. This works well for keeping the spacing between the dots even. Then on road placement: For that I would probably spend some time identifying towns, cities and ports. Because that helps in making informed decisions about where the population would most likely set up travel and more importantly trade routes.
    Another thing to take in consideration, if there is going to be dense forests, the likelihood of people going around is higher, same goes for a desert, unless there is consistent places to find water throughout, that might encourage a trade route to take a calculated risk through a desert.
    A nice question to ask is, why would people to choose to travel a certain path more often? Nature has a way to influence decisions. Hope that helps.

One thing I want to touch on besides the roads, are the rivers.
    Rivers goes from the highest point where it starts to the lowest point, which is most of the time the sea, or basin where a lake then forms. One thing rivers RARELY do is split. It is super common for rivers to flow INTO each other, yes, but splitting requires very rare conditions. Deltas is an exception, with the land flattening out and the water finding winding paths to the sea.
    Just something to keep in mind. (It is helpful to look at Google Satellite images of rivers.

Good luck with your map.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Guild Artisan Guild Supporter Tenia's Avatar

As each kingdom have a different color, frontiers are easily visibles, you can add plain or dashed lines if you want but this is not mandatory. For the coloring, you could try to lower the opacity of the background and add a blurred inner border of the same color, a bit like this one : https://www.cartographersguild.com/a...chmentid=25591 Just an example, it is the first I piked on the finished maps gallery. The frontiers are maybe a bit straight, good locations are mountains and sometimes rivers. I find also that the outer lines around the landmasses are too mechanical, you could maybe reduce the number of lines and/or distord the selection a bit before stroking the line on it ?
    Good luck and carry on!