Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Logo

Did OP use Tiana's generous free logo? Some form of acknowledgment and a few words of thanks would seem appropriate...

Quote Originally Posted by ScottDA View Post
    Did OP use Tiana's generous free logo? Some form of acknowledgment and a few words of thanks would seem appropriate...
    And you see, this is why people don't get nice things.

I also whipped off a free map for someone on here once, and not a word of thanks! Ingrates! I've also had someone take off with a logo draft and a sketch draft without saying thank you or paying either. XP Honestly that's what grates me the most, I'm Canadian you see, so you ought to be polite.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Not to downplay the lack of a courteous reply, but Gurpsnut has not been on the website since the day you posted your terrific Logo. While reading your comment with the post, I wondered if he misunderstood your joke about him owing you 80 Exposure Dollars. Anyone new to graphic arts might not be aware of the whole "working for Exposure" issue. Maybe he thought you expected actual payment and got scared off. Or maybe he just grabbed the Logo and ran, we may never know.
    I hope it is just a misunderstanding and he will return one day and thank you properly. In case he does not, I would like to offer you my thanks for your generous work and for representing Cartographer's Guild with style and honor.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    And you see, this is why people don't get nice things.

I also whipped off a free map for someone on here once, and not a word of thanks! Ingrates! I've also had someone take off with a logo draft and a sketch draft without saying thank you or paying either. XP Honestly that's what grates me the most, I'm Canadian you see, so you ought to be polite.
    Some of the kindest, nicest, most polite people I've met have been Canadian.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Not to downplay the lack of a courteous reply, but Gurpsnut has not been on the website since the day you posted your terrific Logo. While reading your comment with the post, I wondered if he misunderstood your joke about him owing you 80 Exposure Dollars. Anyone new to graphic arts might not be aware of the whole "working for Exposure" issue. Maybe he thought you expected actual payment and got scared off. Or maybe he just grabbed the Logo and ran, we may never know.
    I hope it is just a misunderstanding and he will return one day and thank you properly. In case he does not, I would like to offer you my thanks for your generous work and for representing Cartographer's Guild with style and honor.
    As a matter of fact i DO NOT know what "working for Exposure" means. I suspect, it's just to advertise yourself more?, but "owing you 80 Exposure Dollars" is quite misleading...
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

As a matter of fact i DO NOT know what "working for Exposure" means. I suspect, it's just to advertise yourself more?, but "owing you 80 Exposure Dollars" is quite misleading...
    Yes, it's free advertisement.

Quote Originally Posted by Azélor View Post
    Thanks for confirming that
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

I have done lots of logos , one annoying thing is when someone commissions a work then disappears, or when friends ask for a logo and then don't even use it becouse they no longer need one (of course for free).
    We must be carefull when doing free jobs couse not everyone understand that it requires time and work to make something , especially something professionally made and beautifull.

Logo design is also tougher to protect than a more complex illustration such as a map. At least with a map, you can limit the way someone can use it by laying on a heavy watermark and sending the client preview files in low resolution until you are paid (even if you still have wasted valuable hours if the client bails halfway through). But with a logo, you are in very large part selling the idea for the design, more than the hours it'll actually take to finally turn that idea into an usable vector, so it's much easier for the client to just grab the design in its sketch state and steal away with that, leaving you empty handed.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Azélor View Post
    Well, not quite. It's the erroneous claim that it is free advertisement. Except it's not free for you, since you actually have to put in the work, and except that they don't advertise you, they just use your work for free. Unpaid interns get better compensation than "exposure".

Another point to be made is that very often people who pay in exposure actually think they are doing you the favour, and won't appreciate whatever you did for them the same as if you just said. "You can can have this for free." Indeed they probably think you still owe them for the favour they did you, which to be clear, was absolutely nothing.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast