Thread: Homebrew World/Planet Map

Help Homebrew World/Planet Map

Hi. Very new to this so please read with that grain of salt. Thanks for looking at the request.

Project Scope:
    This is a project for a homebrew gaming world for private use. I have no idea what this might cost, so not sure I can even afford a paid commission. What I would really like is a planet designed with a more scientific eye to detail that I have seen on here, with accurate tectonics and biomes. I have no experience with this and after looking at some of the sources required to do such mapping, it is far outside my abilities so I'd like to see what someone skilled would do.

Background:
    I tried to do a map years ago (see below) but lost all but the basic JPG and a GIF due to a HD crash. I left the project after that and am now coming back to it years later having forgotten anything I had learned in the initial attempt.

I do have various mapping software but just don't have the time to dedicate to reach any form of true proficiency. However, with the right files to start with I can then learn to advance from there.
    Current Software: Photoshop, Gimp, Wilbur, Inkscape, Fractal Terrains 3, CC3 Suite, MapForge, Otherworld Mapper

Design Concept/Subject:
    The base concept for the world is that it has been divided into 3 primary empires ruled by Jotuns (massive elemental humanoids), Dragons and Fey. The Jotuns and Dragons share the larger landmass using a vast mountain range as a 'neutral zone'. They Fey dominate the smaller continent.

This is the image I managed to salvage which will give the basic idea of the vague continental layout I amateurishly toyed with but I don't think are accurate or 'real looking' enough.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Karrakys (final v2).jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	113030

What I'd like to see are:
    • * 2 major landmasses separated by large oceans (which are currently non-traversable due to massive perpetual storms, though sailing along coasts and through seas is still viable). So roughly 60% Water?
      * One landmass is approximately 2-3 times larger than the other; formed by multiple tectonic plates coming together and pulling apart but divided generally in half by the largest mountain range, much like how the Indian Plate has formed the Himalayas or the Nazca Plate creating the Andes.
      * Both landmasses should reach into the arctic regions - the larger to the north, smaller to the south.
      * Smaller landmass formed as you see fitting for tectonics
      * A small Island "continent" somewhere in the northern ocean between the 2 major landmasses, formed like most of the Pacific volcanic islands.

The biggest thing is realistic plate activity created landmass and the appropriate biomes to go with it.

Style/Quality:
    Semi-Pro?
    I'd like to get a Fractal Terrain style map (perhaps globe) as well as something I can work with to later add layers for Empire borders, names, etc. Something like what I'd originally done or something better.

Actually something much like this:
    https://pre00.deviantart.net/1a1e/th...0a-dbbz81x.png

Copyright:
    For personal use. I doubt it will ever see publication.

Contact Details:
    khaalis68--at--outlook.com
    (remove the -- and convert "at" to @)

I hope he has already reached out to you, but just in case: the example you posted as "something much like this" is made by our member, who goes by Naima here on the Guild, and n-a-i-m-a on Deviantart. So be sure and ask him if you aren't in contact with him already, as he is most likely the one who can get you exactly the style of map you're after
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Thankyou Kellerica .
    @Khaalis Sent you a Mail

Yes, I think we can all agree that when someone comes a-knockin and the map they want their map to be like was made by an active member of the Guild, they should be first in line! All is right in the world.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Well, please let me clarify here. Naima's map style is WAY beyond what I am looking for as I misunderstood what I was looking at apparently.

To clarify what I'm looking for, I am NOT looking for a professionally "finished" map. What I really would want is a Fractal Terrains / Wilbur map. I have started working on one here: https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=43390; to see roughly what I am looking for, continental layput-wise.

What I would really want is someone with much more experience in getting something like this (or this file) to look more scientifically plausible. Correct mountain placement, proper land roughness, correct basin work, accurate looking coastlines, etc. Possibly also help with the climate map and biomes. There would be no 'artistic' work such as compasses, labels, borders, etc. This is just a project for the topographic/geologic map.

However, again, this is Not a commercial endeavor, its for home use so I can't justify a large commission.

Thanks.