Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vystrigg Harbour

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Default Vystrigg Harbour

Hey all!

I had a day off today and decided to go on a little adventure. Inspired as I was by that awesome video by Guillaume Tavernier (which I'm sure everyone and their dog has viewed by now, but if by any horrible fluke of Fate you haven't, here's the link), and refusing to do it exactly like he did because I'm stubborn like that (and frankly a bit of an idiot ), I went ahead and created not a dungeon map, but a pleasant little harbour scene instead. Once again a first for me, but one that I really enjoy doing! Unlike that darned Bréistyn's Folly monstrosity from a while back. I'm still having nightmares over that one.

So here's the first WIP, with some parts already inked and finished, and others still somewhat in the rough.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dockside Scene.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	582.2 KB 
ID:	112747

Tower's a bit weird, and I suppose that's because Tavernier's trick with the perspective-transformed grid doesnt really work at the edges, where lines go beyond horizontal (as in from top-left-to-bottom-right in most of the map, to the other way around near the top) . Not sure how I'm gonna fix that yet...
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Update!!

Name:	Dockside Scene (2).jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	857.8 KB 
ID:	112752
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Very cool start! I'm really excited to see your progression on this piece! I hope you can fix the perspective because the detail is awesome!

Guild Artisan Guild Supporter Tenia's Avatar

Good start Caenwyr! If it keeps going it may be necessary to add a 'Guillaume tavernier' sub-forum Even with the distorted perspective, I think that we should see a 4th face of the octogonal level of the tower, to the left. The front face is not completely centered with the rest of the structure, you could perhaps move it to the right, narrowing a bit the one with the clockwork, leaving room on the left for a fourth side ? My two cents

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Eri's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tenia View Post
    Good start Caenwyr! If it keeps going it may be necessary to add a 'Guillaume tavernier' sub-forum Even with the distorted perspective, I think that we should see a 4th face of the octogonal level of the tower, to the left. The front face is not completely centered with the rest of the structure, you could perhaps move it to the right, narrowing a bit the one with the clockwork, leaving room on the left for a fourth side ? My two cents
    yep thats what it is - was looking at the top of the tower for a bit and yeh, defintiely needs the diagonal cut out corner as visible on the left and then connecting at the point. I would say with the 2 point perspective maybe have the perspective point further away next time to make the angles less severe.
    In saying that though this is fantastic. Love the smaller cu out sections along the side and incredibly detailing for the shingles and window panes.

Quote Originally Posted by Domino44 View Post
    Very cool start! I'm really excited to see your progression on this piece! I hope you can fix the perspective because the detail is awesome!
    Thanks Domino!

Quote Originally Posted by Tenia View Post
    Well, I hadn't even read your comment yet, but I found out that exact issue! So yeah, I managed to fix it! Thanks a bunch!

Quote Originally Posted by Eri View Post
    yep thats what it is - was looking at the top of the tower for a bit and yeh, defintiely needs the diagonal cut out corner as visible on the left and then connecting at the point. I would say with the 2 point perspective maybe have the perspective point further away next time to make the angles less severe.
    In saying that though this is fantastic. Love the smaller cu out sections along the side and incredibly detailing for the shingles and window panes.
    Oh you're too kind Eri, really . But I do accept praise when it's given! Still got a lot to do though!

And here's a small update. Didn't have a lot of time to map since the last one, but what I did is kinda fun, so here you go!

Name:	Dockside Scene (3).jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	889.6 KB 
ID:	112790
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Great start! This will look great when finished

Cheers,
    KArl

Quote Originally Posted by tainotim View Post
    Great start! This will look great when finished

Cheers,
    KArl
    Thanks Karl! I can only hope you're right

Since my last updated I made some additions to the map:
    - a sailing vessel;
    - some more sea creatures;
    - the interior of the rooms on either edge;
    - some detail to the windows;
    - a bunch of stuff on the quay;
    - and a curious sea gull to balance things out a bit.

Ooh, and I splashed a bit of colour on it too

Name:	Dockside Scene (5).jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	112829

Still got some tweaks to do, but apart from those, all the map lacks now is a title and a legend!
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

I love those colors and the killer whales are really cool! I also enjoy the cut off areas a lot!

Pretty neat but I'd love to see it with the colors a bit muted, just a bit. Also, as cool as the killer whale might be, having it this close to the building is a bit overkill for me but I love the cuttlefish !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast