Thread: MapForge Program - Experiences? Tutorials?

Default MapForge Program - Experiences? Tutorials?

Heruca's new MapForge program - described by many as the successor to Dundjinni - is available in a relatively stable running version. However, I haven't heard much about it here lately. I'm curious: Are any of you running it? What are your experiences? What are your evaluations? Is anyone doing tutorials?

Because I was short on time, I dropped out of the test process for some time. I opened the new version for the first time on Friday. First impression: Looks good if you have enough add-ons. However, I haven't done enough with it yet to answer my own questions, posed above.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Guild Apprentice

I have it but have yet to do anything other than experiment with it. I just find it so much easier to build battlemaps in GIMP or my VTT unfortunately.

What would you like to see covered in a video tutorial, Mark? Something that covers the basics of making and exporting a map (or part of a map)?

One that focuses on installing and configuring the app properly, licensing it, registering Add-Ons, etc.? (the boring/mundane but potential very useful stuff for those first getting started)

A tutorial covering more advanced techniques, such as combining the filter effects in a particular order to achieve a desired look?

The only MapForge tutorial I've posted on YouTube so far focuses on the new Donjon support and the use of the new Build tool. You can see that one here. Warning: it's a little on the long side.

If you subscribe to my YouTube channel, you'll be notified automatically when more MapForge tutorial videos get posted.
    Looking for battlemap creation software that can be used to create gorgeous print-resolution output on Windows or Mac OS?
    Give MapForge a try.

Quote Originally Posted by heruca View Post
    What would you like to see covered in a video tutorial, Mark?
    Greetings, Hernan!

Actually, I'm not looking for anything specific. I'm fairly satisfied with what's there on your side. Usually after a mapping or RPG program has been available for awhile, some users begin finding innovative ways to use the program and post their own tutorials. So I was wondering whether any of those have turned up yet.

I think your communication has been comprehensive and excellent. What I was looking for was in the line of user experiences, thoughts, etc.

Servus,
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project