Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Walled City

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm trying use more colours on the roofs, what do you people think of those?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cidade Murada.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	8.85 MB 
ID:	112863

My main feedback at this point is that the shadow sides of the building roofs are inconsistent. You can use your drop shadow as a guide to which half of the roof should be darker.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    My main feedback at this point is that the shadow sides of the building roofs are inconsistent. You can use your drop shadow as a guide to which half of the roof should be darker.
    Does the center ring looks better now?

Views:	50 
Size:	6.73 MB 
ID:	112878

Thanks, here's another update.

Views:	34 
Size:	6.67 MB 
ID:	112867

Your centre ring is now but the ring surrounding it has north facing shadowed roofs. =P

Do the different coloured quarters of the city have a special significance?
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Your centre ring is now but the ring surrounding it has north facing shadowed roofs. =P

Do the different coloured quarters of the city have a special significance?
    I changed just the middle ring in order to see if it was right, the colours are more aesthetics.

Do you have a scale for this map? Those large paved squares at the top, bottom, left and right look HUGE!

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Quote Originally Posted by Wingshaw View Post
    Do you have a scale for this map? Those large paved squares at the top, bottom, left and right look HUGE!

Wingshaw
    I don't have it yet, but they're supposed to be huge.

I was thinking in 10mt walls.

Enviado de meu ASUS_Z00AD usando o Tapatalk

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Discuss

Hmmm, definitely a good try for a first city.

Having done city maps myself, I feel there needs to be a more natural flow of alleyways between the buildings, and even lack thereof. Try imagining yourself walking in those streets, would it have felt like a city formed naturally, or would it feel it was some robots that build those buildings to be so without natural flow.
    Alleyways leading to a open space where they would go to get water, where is the trading/market district, or more military inclined buildings, normally there is a poorer district with the buildings more haphazardly built.

Something to try is ask yourself these questions. It helps in crafting a place that feel more natural in development, unless you want to go full blown Roman, they had these outposts that really seemed built by robots, though it was almost purely military.
    (Also, it really pays off to draw things without rigid lines sometimes, might be worth a try. Or draw over the rigid lineart with a free hand, that would also give a nice atmosphere. )

Anyway, good luck with the map and most importantly, have fun.
    Last edited by XCali; 02-03-2019 at 12:10 PM.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post
    Hmmm, definitely a good try for a first city.

Having done city maps myself, I feel there needs to be a more natural flow of alleyways between the buildings, and even lack thereof. Try imagining yourself walking in those streets, would it have felt like a city formed naturally, or would it feel it was some robots that build those buildings to be so without natural flow.
    Alleyways leading to a open space where they would go to get water, where is the trading/market district, or more military inclined buildings, normally there is a poorer district with the buildings more haphazardly built.

Something to try is ask yourself these questions. It helps in crafting a place that feel more natural in development, unless you want to go full blown Roman, they had these outposts that really seemed built by robots, though it was almost purely military.
    (Also, it really pays off to draw things without rigid lines sometimes, might be worth a try. Or draw over the rigid lineart with a free hand, that would also give a nice atmosphere. )

Anyway, good luck with the map and most importantly, have fun.
    Thanks, I'll give it a try, I'm also trying another City style that I didn't posted yet.

Enviado de meu ASUS_Z00AD usando o Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12