Thread: No more flat earth

Default No more flat earth

Some of you might have seen that Youtube will try to make conspiracy videos harder to find. (I admit that I only read the article because the title said ''No more Flat earth on Youtube''. It was another article in a French media.)
    So basically, while not censoring them, they will make it so that you are less likely to stumble on a conspiracy video by accident.
    Conspiracies like the ones about flat earth.

I doubt that the real conservationists will be affected by this but this should help protecting innocent people.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...ecommendations

Pretty sure this is a discussion that would descend into politics pretty quickly.

Also Youtube's general policies are a travesty.

Guild Artisan Guild Supporter Tenia's Avatar

It is strange because I thought everyone knew that the earth is a disc supported by four elephants themselves backed by a turtle.
    Speaking of this, I've heard a lot of stupid things this week on the French media about Galileo and Erathostenes...

I think the real question is are all the elephants facing in the same direction? And what happens if one of them wanders around on the turtle? If they are facing the same direction, is it the same direction the turtle is swimming?

The real question is, "Is the turtle male or female ?". At least, that's what I've been told.

I am totally against those consor acts.... who decides what is or is not a cospiracy? Youtube? So they become the ones to tell the masses what to believe and what not?

I think they have just changed the terrible algorithm slightly so that after looking at one flat earth video, your entire recommended feed isn't spammed with millions of other crazy conspiracy stuff like chem trails and whatnot. They're not removing the videos or anything.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post
    I am totally against those consor acts.... who decides what is or is not a cospiracy? Youtube? So they become the ones to tell the masses what to believe and what not?
    YouTube already makes decisions about what to promote and not promote. It's actually unavoidable given their function. The reason this stuff even shows up as much as it does is because conspiracy theorists have been good at exploiting the existing biases. In any case, this is YouTube exercising their expressive rights. Freedom of the press belongs to the owner of the press. This is not censorship; it is editing, and equivalent to newspapers not running the rambling letters to the editor on the front page.

Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    YouTube already makes decisions about what to promote and not promote. It's actually unavoidable given their function. The reason this stuff even shows up as much as it does is because conspiracy theorists have been good at exploiting the existing biases. In any case, this is YouTube exercising their expressive rights. Freedom of the press belongs to the owner of the press. This is not censorship; it is editing, and equivalent to newspapers not running the rambling letters to the editor on the front page.
    The truth lies somewhere between.
    YT is not an equivalent of normal newspaper where editors have the power over what to publish. So i don't agree with that comparison, but it is still their platform after all and they will run it as it fits them.
    I do agree that some editing is justified, like i.e. removing dangerous challanges videos (blind challange) etc. Youth follows them and there are accidents, sometimes mortal.

Unfortunately some materials are burried by YT even if its content does not violate YT terms of use. There are videos (usually political and social) that when you type in search engine the exact name of the video and it is THE MOST PUPULAR, it will not show as first one. Not even on first page. It will be buried on 10th page or even further.
    It is sad because it shows the bias here.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee