Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Czepeku's Battlemaps

Map Czepeku's Battlemaps

Hey everyone, I recently started a Patreon for battlemaps and I wanted to showcase what I've created so far. I can already see improvement in my work but I wanted to ask for critique here too. Always happy to learn new tricks and tips.

Here's the first 5 battlemaps from oldest to newest. Thanks for taking a look!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	j7Cso2k.jpg 
Views:	576 
Size:	3.84 MB 
ID:	113120

Name:	s2VucB0.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	666.5 KB 
ID:	113121

Name:	FVPx54e.jpg 
Views:	1212 
Size:	3.73 MB 
ID:	113122

Name:	g7dCt3n.jpg 
Views:	551 
Size:	2.77 MB 
ID:	113123

Name:	psz9k4b.jpg 
Views:	1324 
Size:	3.24 MB 
ID:	113124

Some really nice stuff - I love your colouring.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Very nice. I like the lightning.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

I really like the maps. Well done. You already have a good handle on setting up a scene and making it intriguing to explore.

I can start by pointing you in the direction of learning more about Core shadows, it would really compliment how you are already using of cast shadows. Adding smaller quite darker shadows closer to the objects will make them pop out of the page even more. After that learning about Highlights will take that even further.

There was a thread where I started outlining the idea behind core shadows with a fellow guilder, if you are interested, head here.
    Though I am certain there are A LOT of tutorials online for tackling the spectrum of shadows and highlights to make art pop out of the page.

Again, you really have nice maps

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Hey everyone, thanks so much for the feedback, it is much appreciated. And thanks for the tip XCali. I'll definitely take your advice about the shadows.

I've got a new map out tonight, it is for my Patreon as we completed our first goal of $25p/w and I wanted to give something for free back to my supporters. Here it is:

Name:	jUEz0R7.jpg 
Views:	829 
Size:	3.33 MB 
ID:	113169

And here's a lineup of the variations we created for it:

Name:	W27ikF2.jpg 
Views:	413 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	113170

If anyone has any smart ideas about post-processing for maps to achieve different lighting conditions or weather, i'd love to hear them. Usually i use colour balance and colour lookup layers in PS as well as manual editing.

I know this is a forum for map making but if anyone sees this post and is curious, here's a painting I made to accompany the map: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/0XElmE

Name:	lgjka1i.jpg 
Views:	414 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	113333

Newest battlemap is here. Really curious to see what everyone thinks. Feedback welcome!

Hmm, I'm a silent observer of this thread, enjoying your work without any constructive comment, but I'm totally in love with your colors and views. This lasst one is not an exception : it's amazing how you can give a sense of volume in a top-down map. Good job !

These look fantastic! The view at 100% is maybe a little larger than it really needs to be for online viewing purposes, but that is about all the criticism I can think of. As other have said, your color choices are just beautiful.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Thanks for the feedback Kellerica and MistyBeee! I appreciate it. As for the size, that's useable in Roll20 for anyone who wants it, or printable if that's what you prefer. I suppose I could have uploaded a smaller version for this forum though. Speaking of which, is there anyway to make the thumbnails here bigger? It can be quite hard to see people's maps unless in full view, which is a shame, as there's so much great work around here and most it is in the details.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Nice! You did a great job.

I am wondering here, to make it even better maybe... That kind of misty feel of it adds a lot of mood, but I can't help but think the colour on the fog and the colour of the ground is too similar and thus only give a blurry look to some places. I can be wrong, but it is what I am thinking about (Also, trying to add three shades of values to the mist would make it stand out more. If that was what you were going for.)

Keep up the good work
    Last edited by XCali; 02-12-2019 at 05:50 AM.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast