Thread: The City of Distrania

Default The City of Distrania

So, I've seen this map on reddit and liked it, it was made with Wonderdraft and I liked the style, I'm trying to do something similar with photoshop.

For now, what do you people think of the houses, walls and roads?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cidade 2.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	2.05 MB 
ID:	113256

I'd say - keeping this fairly simple - that your primary roads look good, and your buildings aren't bad either (a good balance of large and small, but could be improved with the occasional structure in the internal courtyards/backyards). I think the main issue that I can see lies in the maze of lesser roads across the city. They're a bit too chaotic, and that just isn't typical of a city. City roads and streets aren't random - they are the result of patterns i the way people in the city live their lives. You could try thinking about where those roads go and how would you navigate this city, if you were placed in the middle and you had to find your way to a house somewhere in the midst of that labyrinth?

Hope that helps

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

The map you linked looks like it was originally generated with this tool and then imported into wonderdraft/photoshop and made to look really pretty. By the way, I'm not a fan of random generation but that tool is really good.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingshaw View Post
    I'd say - keeping this fairly simple - that your primary roads look good, and your buildings aren't bad either (a good balance of large and small, but could be improved with the occasional structure in the internal courtyards/backyards). I think the main issue that I can see lies in the maze of lesser roads across the city. They're a bit too chaotic, and that just isn't typical of a city. City roads and streets aren't random - they are the result of patterns i the way people in the city live their lives. You could try thinking about where those roads go and how would you navigate this city, if you were placed in the middle and you had to find your way to a house somewhere in the midst of that labyrinth?

Hope that helps

Wingshaw
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    The map you linked looks like it was originally generated with this tool and then imported into wonderdraft/photoshop and made to look really pretty. By the way, I'm not a fan of random generation but that tool is really good.
    Thanks, this generator is way better than my map, damn, I think I'll try to edit it on photoshop as well.