Thread: Presentation

Default Presentation

Hi all,

my name is Yann, 42, I have mainly an IT background (programming, system administration) and from time to time I do some graphics work for myself using gimp or inkscape (vectorizing images, digital image manipulation etc) I don't consider myself an artist, but my output is not that bad all things considered, but not even close to anything I can see on the guild (https://www.cartographersguild.com/a...7&d=1461530942).

Other interests of mine are music (started learning piano one year ago), roleplaying, comics, tv/movies. Even if I am not a creator I appreciate (and love to engage in) art criticism.

Being an IT person, I have a fundamental need to try to obtain maximum results with minimal work, by this I don't mean I don't like to work for long stretches of time, what I dislike is doing repetitive tasks that can be avoided or automated (available time being finite).

I've been playing D&D for about 4 years now, and a few days ago I had the idea of writing a little campaign to master.

I started thinking about the adventure I wanted to create, and one of the first things I needed was a location, I started browsing online for some maps, and found a number of them, but they all are bitmap images, which are very nice looking, but impractical to work with. After some thinking I realized that what I wanted something similar to google-earth/google-maps but for a fantasy world. Having already some knowledge about Geographic Information systems I decided that that was the way to go.

The best looking map I found of the world I wanted to create was from a user of the guild.

I didn't have all the required knowledge to correctly import the map and georeference it on the globe, so I asked a question on gis.stackexchange.com, got useful replies and was able to import the raster images.

More details about the process (if you are interested) can be read here:

https://gis.stackexchange.com/questi...-raster-images

One commenter asked if I could share the resulting work, and that inquiry sparked another question on rpg.stackexchange.com:

https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questi...or-free-to-use

Meanwhile I realized that even If I referenced the original forum post, I did not notify the original author about using the image in those sites or even ask his permission. It took a couple of days to get the posting permission. So now I'm here to do that, and also contribute back to his work if I can.

I need to reach 5 posts before replying in his thread (https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=11515), so if you have observations or questions of any kind please let me know.

Guild Apprentice
    Blog Entries

Hi there fellow IT admin and computer programmer. I'm curious what flavor of Linux do your prefer? Professionally and/or personally.

I use Ubuntu. Ubuntu server professionally and Ubuntu Studio (for krita and gimp and other great tools) for digitizing my pen drawn maps.

double post
    Last edited by ykmm; 03-23-2019 at 12:06 PM.

Hi to You!

My preferred Linux distro is Debian and it derivatives, for a server I usually go with Debian unless I need the most recent version of packages and/or prefer stability, in which case it's ubuntu server. For a desktop environment I usually go with Linux Mint (because I must admit that Debian's desktop is pretty much horrible and Canonical has a very freestyle attitude on changing the default Window Manager under your nose). Mint has a good desktop environment which stays out of my way, remains consistent releases and lets me do my work (although recently I've switched to I3WM).

For music/piano I've been using Avlinux (which is also based on Debian) in dual boot. Recently for some small projects I used Alpine Linux which is really lightweight and imho a really nice distribution.