Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Lionburgh - fortress guarding the ancient city of Ostwyc

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

thanks Adfor!

Okay, so I really can't help myself. I noticed the fortress popping out of the map left and right (an effect I actually like in itself), and started getting annoyed by the fact that some of those parts would actually be hidden away by houses - if I were to draw them. So that wasn't logical, right? I couldn't just leave off the houses, but show the stairs etc that they would cover.

So naturally (ahem) I widened the map again, forcing me to draw even more houses! Sometimes I think I subconsciously hate myself.

BUT! I found a way that really speeds things up, so it's no longer a tedious process. If you find yourself drawing 3D houses based on a ISO-ified ground plan and are curious about a quick(-ish) way to go about it, let me know.

Also, I added a top-down floorplan of the entire beast, showing pillars (a lot of them!) and inner walls. It also allows viewers to get a better view of the sections hidden behind higher structures on the 3D view below. I might decide to rotate the floorplan 90° CW, not sure about that one yet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lionburgh (6).jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	6.76 MB 
ID:	114522
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Looking really great so far!

Quote Originally Posted by Caenwyr View Post

So naturally (ahem) I widened the map again, forcing me to draw even more houses! Sometimes I think I subconsciously hate myself.
    If you can keep your self-loathing subconscious, you're doing better than many.

You have a tower that appears to be 11 stories tall. When the term "skyscraper" first appeared in the late 1800s, this would have qualified. It would need either modern steel-frame construction techniques or magic for support (assuming human-sized inhabitants). You may well have already considered this, but I thought I might as well comment on something about the map as long as I was posting.

Guild Apprentice

This looks fantastic! I'm excited to see the finished result.

Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    You have a tower that appears to be 11 stories tall. When the term "skyscraper" first appeared in the late 1800s, this would have qualified. It would need either modern steel-frame construction techniques or magic for support (assuming human-sized inhabitants). You may well have already considered this, but I thought I might as well comment on something about the map as long as I was posting.
    Well, since 50 m+ fortified keeps (Château de Vincennes, Château de Coucy) and 150 m+ cathedral spires (Lincoln Cathedral) were built in Europe during the Middle Ages, I don't see why the tower could not have been built using good old masonry techniques.

Thanks both of you guys for your helpful input! I must admit I hadn't paid much thought to the height of the keep, so I'm glad to learn Lars managed to find some precedents! I wouldn't have changed it anymore anyway, not at this stage. Glad to know it's acceptable to architectural historians too!

Since my last update I added the remaining houses, and I also did a fading effect on the houses (and not on the castle itself!), to give the impression of depth. I have a version without that effect too, but it's a bit too confusing to my poor eyes. If you want to see it, give me a yell.

I also added a shield (a somewhat cleaner redo from the one on the original Ostwyc map), rotated the floor plan and moved it to the left side, and I left a big spot on the right for the legend and all that other stuff.

Name:	Lionburgh (8a).jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	7.22 MB 
ID:	114553

I still gotta shade this beast too. I've been putting it off until now, but with the last of the houses done, I don't think I can postpone it any longer
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Impressive! I'll have to keep a hungry eye on this one.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Maybe you hate yourself, but the result is really good ! Each WIP, the map looks better ! Good job !!!

Looking amazing. I might have missed it but is there a plan for windows on what I assume is the big church in the castle? It looks like it could do with some nice stained glass ones along the side.

Quote Originally Posted by MapMappingMapped View Post
    Impressive! I'll have to keep a hungry eye on this one.
    Thanks MMM!

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    Maybe you hate yourself, but the result is really good ! Each WIP, the map looks better ! Good job !!!
    Thanks Jo! It's slow progress, but at least it's me who's breathing down my neck

Quote Originally Posted by QED42 View Post
    Looking amazing. I might have missed it but is there a plan for windows on what I assume is the big church in the castle? It looks like it could do with some nice stained glass ones along the side.
    Dang, I was hoping nobody would notice, so I could quietly slip them in in my next update. I could make up a story about a religion all about worshiping the Darkness or the Lord of Night or something like that, but I'm afraid I simply forgot to draw them in... Keep an eye out for them in the update after this one.

For now, here's my almost-finished shading. Boy-ee, this is hard work with all these different heights and elevations! But I think I got most of it right. Or at least right-ish. Still gotta do the upper right corner, but I couldn't keep from posting an update any longer. I'm all giddy!

Name:	Lionburgh (9).jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	6.95 MB 
ID:	114629

Ooh yeah, I moved around the top-down plan and the shield again - they're probably in their final positions now. I think
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

OK, shading is done, and I threw in a bunch of windows in the chapel! Thanks for pointing that out, @QED42!

Name:	Lionburgh (10).jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	6.98 MB 
ID:	114671

Next up is labelling!
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast