Thread: The Lionburgh - fortress guarding the ancient city of Ostwyc

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Default The Lionburgh - fortress guarding the ancient city of Ostwyc

Hi all!

So a while back I created a map for the city of Ostwyc. It was a veritable monster of a map, and took me months to complete. I didn't mind, it was a fun experience, and since it was a personal project, I could take all the time I wanted to explore side tracks and loose myself in them.

One of these side tracks that didn't make the cut was an ISO view of the fortress straddling the city wall: the Lionburgh. At the time I was quite pleased with it, and it was mostly lack of map real estate that made me decide to leave it off. Now I'm glad I didn't use it. Man was that a crude bit of mapping!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lionburgh 3D.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	264.6 KB 
ID:	114407

Since I'm currently between maps for a certain commission (and since that particular fortress/palace kept popping up in my mind), I decided to take another go at it. So here it goes.

This is a section of the original map, conveniently warped for ISO-ification:

Name:	Lionburgh (2a).jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	3.50 MB 
ID:	114408

On which I then started drawing the different levels. Getting them all aligned was the biggest challenge, but this way I can be confident that the ISO castle and the one on the map are indeed identical.

This is what I have for the moment:

Name:	Lionburgh (2).jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	4.55 MB 
ID:	114409 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lionburgh (2b).jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	4.25 MB 
ID:	114410

I'm now asking myself if I should do all the houses around it as well. Well, actually I feel like I should, but I errr... don' wanna. Lots of pain-in-the-ass tedious linework that will just be overlooked... Or will it? What is your opinion?
    Last edited by Caenwyr; 03-22-2019 at 02:07 PM.
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!