Thread: Ilaeria and Surrounding Environs

Map Ilaeria and Surrounding Environs

It's amazing what you find when you dig around on your computer. I completely forgot about doing this map, dated 27 Feb 2007. Based on the naming conventions, I'm now thinking it would be the setting of High Fantasy stories perhaps part of an older empire.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Smaller-IlaeriaInsetMap-02-27-07.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	585.3 KB 
ID:	115448

That looks pretty interesting. Not too big a fan of all those red lines (the probably portray boundaries), really detracts from the map itself.
    Is there more for this world? Or was that just a practice map back then?
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Nice Tolkienesque style. I concur with Eilathen about the red border lines, it looks like you just sketched those in temporarily. I'd say a dotted, dashed or fine line would be better, those thick lines overwhelm the visual style.

Thanks for the replies. I don't know why I used the transparent red for borders but it isn't something I use now. This is part of a larger continent-size map that I've misplaced but is probably on an archive drive somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalanard View Post
    This is part of a larger continent-size map that I've misplaced but is probably on an archive drive somewhere.
    If you ever find it, i'd be interested in the rest of the world!
    Care to tell us about the part of the world we see here? If you can remember?
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

I didn’t have back story for the rest of the world, but this section was to be something akin to Renaissance Italy with Rodina filling-in for the Holy Roman Empire as the “big bad.” I’ll look for the other map.

While the borders could be more subdued, if this was intended primarily as a political map, their visual dominance would be appropriate. It is a bit odd that territorial claims don't seem to (effectively, at least) extend into lakes.