Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Ingame Map of Arania (+WIPs)

Quote Originally Posted by SteffenBrand View Post
    in hindsight, I don't think I made a map I'm 100% happy with, a crowning achievement of some sort. There are some that are really high up there, but there is always something one can be better with. I'm not sure it is possible to do, especially since I'm way more critical with my own work than the work of others.
    Ain't that the truth. Looking back on my work I feel much the same way. I can definitely tell there's been improvement but there are always things that bug me about a piece that I hope to improve on in future maps. But then that's all just a part of the artistic journey I guess. In a way, it's probably good that you don't ever create a piece you are 100% satisfied with. Because then you will have peaked, and nothing else you do is likely to measure up to what you did in the past.

Wow! What a beautiful map - I really like it! The border is awe-inspiring too. *Applaud*

Guild Novice

The borders are intricate!

I love the different culture of it. Such warm colors you don’t find so often in fantasy map, especially because of the ocean. I like the business of this ocean because I think it would look too empty. I agree that it’s a bit overwhelming for the map, but when think what we would lose without it. No.

It matches with the temples in the corner. The whole thing looks like a traditional fantasy map of that same time. But obviously a different land. Almost as if the fantasy world was globalized at the time. Gorgeous.

Thanks for posting.

I actually find myself quite liking the ocean pattern, as I think it goes well with the overall style of the map. I'd be very careful about any similar choice with pretty much any other kind of style, but this one goes so far from the typical "hand painted antique-textured" type of map I myself make, I think it works here. I do personally think it works better in the red color theme of the second-to-last version, mind you, it's maybe a tad too strong in blue in my opinion. I suppose I do just in general like those colors a little better.

This is one of those styles that is very strongly you, I don't think anyone does maps quite like this. That alone makes it a win in my book. The border detail is amazing, and I love those forests and mountains. Will rep if I can, and this one is headed straight into my inspiration folder!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Professional Artist SteffenBrand's Avatar

@MapMappingMapped: Thank you!

@Gala: Wow, thank you very much, appreciate the insight in your thoughts!

@Kellerica: Thank you for the rep and especially for your comment! =) Yeah, the red was a strong contender that I almost kept, but decided against it to use this for a map in the same basic area completely inland, so I can work with tones completely earthy. If I have the prints in hand, I think I'll add a photo so you can see it in context on the sepia-colored paper.
    Visit me on ArtStation.

Just amazing ! The border is incredible, the atmosphere just perfect, with your colors and your splendid linework... I'm totally fan and totally convinced

Incredible map. I love the border and intricate details, the different crests and the sea detail. It's fantastic work, well done.

Professional Artist SteffenBrand's Avatar

Thank you both very much, it is balm for the soul to hear that people like it this much! =)
    Visit me on ArtStation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12