Thread: Glad to be here!

Default Glad to be here!

Hello Cartographers!

I've been lurking around the forums since I recently found them. It is an impressive community you've built here!

I'm a new cartographer myself, but I recently was given the opportunity to make the map on a dream project of mine. Although I'd love to tell everyone more about it, I can't. Luckily I have a great starting toolset (judging from reading some of the tutorials), completely by coincidence: a Cintiq, PS, and Illustrator! But more importantly, I've found a community here!

I'm very relieved to have found this site, as I'm currently going through a 'trial by fire' learning everything I need to know to succeed in my new project role. As an aside for those curious as to how I was offered the role, it's a combination of other required (specific/hard-to-find) skillsets (a 'talent stack') and the fact I'm a 'known entity' (the 'ol who you know vs. what you know mantra in business).

The good news is I have some time to get my bearings (excuse the pun), but eventually the end product must be commercial grade.... so no pressure, right!? The task before me has the less common challenge (at least from a fantasy perspective) of being based on the Earth, which has advantages and disadvantages over creating a map from scratch. This map must also be as spatially accurate as possible, and distortion is a constant companion when representing a 3D object in 2D space.

I must say it is reassuring to have found others who are/have gone through the same challenges I'm currently facing. I'm also happy to help others whenever a beginner's perspective on figuring things out is appropriate!

welcome topologist! glad to have you aboard!