Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Hand drawn maps

A little different from what you shown recently, which is always interesting, and still as good as always. Carroburg illustration is wonderful !
    I think what bothers me about the fields is they catch a little too much attention : it's what you see first, while maybe the towns should have the focus. However, I love this new touch of color ^_^

Guild Journeyer Impractical Cartographer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    I think what bothers me about the fields is they catch a little too much attention : it's what you see first, while maybe the towns should have the focus.
    These fields are the reason why I am not happy with this map. And that's why I put this map here, not in the finished map section.
    Well, I'm still learning how to draw.

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dd3.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	6.45 MB 
ID:	120711

New map.
    My first approach to the Sword Coast. I have never drawn maps for D&D before, so this is an interesting challenge for me.
    Work in progress.

These are amazing maps! I love them and the way the photos were taken add to the beauty. I'd be interested to know about calligraphy tutorials as well but I think that what you have here is stunning. I particularly love your maps of the Witcher's Universe. The colors really blend well.

Quote Originally Posted by Impractical Cartographer View Post
    These fields are the reason why I am not happy with this map. And that's why I put this map here, not in the finished map section.
    Well, I'm still learning how to draw.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	dd3.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	6.45 MB 
ID:	120711

New map.
    My first approach to the Sword Coast. I have never drawn maps for D&D before, so this is an interesting challenge for me.
    Work in progress.
    Do you find that makes a difference with your art? If it's for a game? If so, why? Perhaps evoking the feel of the genre?

Quote Originally Posted by Baron View Post
    Do you find that makes a difference with your art? If it's for a game? If so, why? Perhaps evoking the feel of the genre?
    Always drawing a new world unknown to me, I feel a challenge.

And I always wonder how to draw a map to make it look like it was drawn by a cartographer living in this world.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	dd4.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	6.17 MB 
ID:	120743

I trying to find the right style for this map...

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	swordcoast1.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	3.12 MB 
ID:	120808

My first draft of the Sword Coast. A lot of things to improve, but I'm starting to feel the atmosphere of this world.
    I wonder how best to color the sea. It's best done with pastels. Here, I tried colored pencils, but I lacked skill and patience.
    Last edited by Impractical Cartographer; 03-11-2020 at 08:46 PM.

Ah nice.

Have you thought about also combining pencil with water colors? With these you could easily fill the space of the sea, and after it is dried, combine it with some colored pencil or pastel for texture if you want.
    Of course water color also needs skill and practice for a consistent fill and not painting over the little islands with the brush. But maybe needs a little less patience than doing it completely with colored pencils.

... and what a first draft ! ^^
    I love you used a darker blue for rivers and along the coastline

Looks wonderful!

Have you considered watercolor pencils? Derwent makes some that I like. You can lay down the color like a pencil, and then shade and blend it with water. Some of the pencil texture remains. I don't know how it would behave with alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by jshoer View Post
    Have you considered watercolor pencils?
    Yes, but my paper is not good with water.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	dd4.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	441.4 KB 
ID:	121104

I'm trying a new style with Drewent Artist colored pencils. Texturing is a tedious task. And the mountains from the top-down view still cause me some trouble.
    But the exercise makes the master... they say.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast