Thread: A City Map for a D&D Adventure Kickstarter

Post A City Map for a D&D Adventure Kickstarter

Hello everyone, I hope you are okay and safe! I'm Umut, humble art director of the DRS Publishing (dreamrealmstorytellers.com)

In 2018 we made our first Kickstarter campaign for our first worldbuilding, Svilland and it was really well.

Last year we had a chance to grow our studio and then we decide to make another KS campaign for Svilland. The new project is about a war between two goddesses of Svilland Hel and Freyja. You can see the cover art below
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Duyuru İmajı.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	120995

We are happy to pay 350 USD via Paypal or bank wire for the city map that we also need full commercial rights. If you think your work is suitable for this job, we can talk again about the fee we may pay a bit higher.

We want to launch the KS project at the first week of May, so the deadline is a bit short. We need it on the 25th of April.

Here are the style references that we need:

Name:	Elturel+WotC+Blando+Sample+72dpi.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	4.16 MB 
ID:	120996

Name:	0.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	146.0 KB 
ID:	120997

If you are interested in please send me an e-mail umut@dreamrealmstorytellers.com or dreamrealmstorytellers@gmail.com then we can talk more

Thank you very much for your time! I'm so excited to meet you

Interested. Sent email.

Hey there! Congrats on your Kickstarter! You might find you don’t get many takers, based on the samples here and the fact you want *full* commercial rights. A map like these takes easily 80+ hours, so you do the math to see what that hourly rate comes to, and that’s before factoring in the commercial rights, which increases the price by a good amount. Most professional and semi-pro cartographers will charge close to or above 4 figures for that kind of project. Just want to give an idea of the time and therefore cost associated with such complex pieces of art, and what fair compensation would be. That said, you might find a student or beginner willing to take on the project for that price, and if so, I wish you all the best!

Quote Originally Posted by LizardInk View Post
    You might find you don’t get many takers, based on the samples here and the fact you want *full* commercial rights. A map like these takes easily 80+ hours, so you do the math to see what that hourly rate comes to, and that’s before factoring in the commercial rights, which increases the price by a good amount. Most professional and semi-pro cartographers will charge close to or above 4 figures for that kind of project.
    Yep... I think could do it, and I even would do a city at that price... if I had 6 months to do it...

And I COULD do it in a month, but I'd want twice as much for it for the turnaround and the rights. Which would not be unfair considering it would take approximately a week and a half of full time work... sure, it would be spread over the month, but honestly if I got $350 for two week's full time work I wouldn't be able to live.

It's not completely ridiculous though, I figure someone who's good at cities might know how to power through it in a week, or a newer artist might be hyped about their first multi-hundred-dollar project. Certainly not the worst lowball I've seen. I'd half want to do it because I'm hyped about the style. I think the outcome might be really nice.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Your current line of products and the Kickstarter idea look promising, but yeah... you want the style and quality of either Jared Blando or Franscesca Berald (?), you want it within a month, and you want it for a price that I'd probably charge for a rather simple, top down color town map without the elaborate ornaments. For a private client, that is. Looking at all the talented pros and semi-pros here, unless (as Tiana correctly stated) a very dedicated new artists takes this, you're looking at a price tag in the high three figures/low four figures range. Still, best of luck to you as the setting seems really cool.