View Poll Results: The parameters to choose.

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • +1 fixed. Everyone gets just one point. Accept some members have existing high scores.

2 11.76%
  • +20 fixed.

1 5.88%
  • +50 fixed.

0 0%
  • +100 fixed.

0 0%
  • +1 per 500 posts capped at +50.

1 5.88%
  • +30 to start, +1 per 60 days, +1 per 100 posts, +1 per 4000 rep cap at +100.

8 47.06%
  • None of these options are close to what I would like.

2 11.76%
  • As per option 6 but with log( rep ) - see post #12.

3 17.65%

Thread: What should we do about rep PART TWO !

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Default What should we do about rep PART TWO !

So in the last thread I asked you all about whether you thought the rep system was worth it and if you liked it and if you thought it was working in its current form. The poll showed that by quite a large majority that the rep system needs tweaking.

As mentioned in that thread the issue is the severe rep inflation in that some members can make a new recruit jump through all of the levels in a couple of hits because there is a problem in the way the rep power that one gives is calculated.

The main thing that I have to say is that not every possible option is open to us. The forum uses a data base and I dont want to modify the data base outside of the vBulletin system because there is a likelihood that it will become messed up and not function any more.

So we have to stick with what options vBulletin gives us to change parameters to make the rep system sensible. I will now list all of the options that are available as parameters to adjust and its our job to work out what to set these to.

Initial power - a new member gets this.
    For every X days being a member get +1 power. I.e. set the X parameter.
    For every Y posts get +1 power. I.e. set the Y parameter.
    For every Z points of current reputation get +1 power. I.e. set the Z parameter.
    How many posts you have made before your rep award starts counting.
    How much current rep a you have before your rep award starts counting.
    Max number of rep awards you can give out in 24 hours.
    How many different members you award before you can give the first more rep.
    A rep power cap. I.e. the max amount you can award no matter how many +1's you have.

So thats the list to argue over.

Some people have expressed the desire that everyone gets the same rep power which is an option to consider.

For information the member with the most posts is about 11,000. The member with the highest current rep is 85,000. The longest member is about 14 years.

The new bar at the top of your rep score maxes out at 55,000 to 60,000 so this is the new full rep score. I.e. if we just go with +1 for everybody then it will take a long time and a lot of people repping to make it up to 60,000. What we need is for people to progress in a suitable time and pace to show forum activity and quality of comments and art posted. In my view somethng like a 1000 or so rep awards should be ample to get you to full. So what I am saying is that small amounts would be 10 and large amounts would be 100 - 200 or so. We will definitely need some kind of cap tho that is for certain. The exact numbers for all of the parameters are up for discussion.

So how about it. How do you want to see your rep ?

If you give me another option early enough then I can add it to the poll.

Let me try to capture some options for a poll.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 03-27-2020 at 08:50 PM.