View Poll Results: The parameters to choose.

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • +1 fixed. Everyone gets just one point. Accept some members have existing high scores.

2 11.76%
  • +20 fixed.

1 5.88%
  • +50 fixed.

0 0%
  • +100 fixed.

0 0%
  • +1 per 500 posts capped at +50.

1 5.88%
  • +30 to start, +1 per 60 days, +1 per 100 posts, +1 per 4000 rep cap at +100.

8 47.06%
  • None of these options are close to what I would like.

2 11.76%
  • As per option 6 but with log( rep ) - see post #12.

3 17.65%

Thread: What should we do about rep PART TWO !

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Couple of random thoughts...

I like the idea of a fixed amount of rep, as this is the most obvious way to stop it getting even more wildly out of hand. I'd probably go for 20 or 50 points. 1 point is just too cruel for newer members.

I feel a higher weighting should be given to amount of posts a member has. Yes, quality maps are important of course, but we're a forum ultimately, and people who take time to contribute deserve some small reward for their effort. Not bothered about the length of time one has been a member. You could have been here for a dozen years and posted 20 times. Or, you could have been here a year and posted several hundred times. The latter is more deserving of rep, imho. I suppose it's possible some people could post randomly to boost their count, but I can't see it. I know this place, and people will simply ignore anyone who doesn't make sensible posts.

So I'd suggest something like rep capped at 20 or 50 points AND you also get 20 or 50 points for every 100 posts. Don't know how that works with the poll options, so I haven't voted yet.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    1 point is just too cruel for newer members.
    I agree with this ChickPea, would feel like you're not getting anywhere at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    I feel a higher weighting should be given to amount of posts a member has.
    I agree that number of posts made is potentially a greater contribution than years spent here. Anyone who contributes usually has something useful to say and I can't think of anyone who spams the site with useless content.

At the moment, I've cast my vote for "+30 to start, +1 per 60 days, +1 per 100 posts, +1 per 4000 rep cap at +100." but I've really no idea on sensible numbers to use. That sounds like it could be about right, but it's hard to tell.

Theoretically if you didn't post, it would take a lurker ~12 years to max their rep power out which is a long time, but equally should they have equal rep power? I'm not sure of the best solution to that, but perhaps that's just a niche problem to overlook since they might never become an active member (just don't want floods of forgotten members coming back at once with full power like some army of the dead, haha!!)

Just looking at this thread of people I think everyone would theoretically be at the rep power cap given either the number posted and years a members alone, but that's because they're all key members. The +1 every 4000 pts I think is potentially harder to achieve than the others, but if you're an active member, then rep should hopefully come your way too.