Thread: Iridia & Danais; First take

Map Iridia & Danais; First take

Ok, so here's my first attempt on the creation of a world map. There are two land masses (at the size of countries like Belgium, Denmark etc) and the names come from a database that I've been building at my leisure over the years.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01. Iridia & Danais.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	366.9 KB 
ID:	121248  

Wow that looks pretty good already, especially for a "first attempt"! How is your overall idea, do you want to leave everything hand drawn or do you think of digitalize it?

Thank for your kind comments! I appreciate it!
    I am not sure how to go about it. For now, I'm leaving it as it is (not even inked, it's only pencil) and I'm making smaller maps of individual places where I put some dungeons/encounters etc.
    What may seem as an obstacle to me (for now at least) is that I've never used photoshop, oddly enough. I'll have to learn on the go, but I think I'll manage eventually.

Of course there is no force to digitize maps! Your drawings look good in my opinion (but to clear that, I draw with Photoshop, so of course I am not the expert to handdrawings) as they are.

Although as a Photoshop and QGIS user I see some advantages in using software:
    - mistakes could be easily "erased"
    - effects (especially colors, papertype and the like) could be done afterwards and tried in many different ways without destroying your map
    - management of maps (especially a whole mapset of one world) is easier

But that just might be a feeling of someone, who wholehearted works digital. However, if you want to try some software, I recommend to have a look into the tutorials section, where many great tutorials for different software (e.g. gimp and photoshop) are stored. They gave me a lot of help starting my own mapping and improving skills.

Thank you very much for your ideas. I'll have a look at the tutorials version.
    Now that you mention it, I am fairly well versed with ArcGIS and QGIS so I'll give it a try to see how it can work out.