Thread: Improve handwritting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm in an odd boat with this topic, for I feel it is an area of mapping that I'm furthest from mastering.

My handwriting is like printed font, which is something I've repeatedly received praise for thoughout my life, and while it translates well to my mapping style, I just don't know exactly how I want to alter it for the most pleasant results. As Tiana said, I'm having the "up and down back and forth experience", where nothing is good enough, which oddly enough has been the most fun of all the skills you develop while hand drawing maps.

Definitely going to try the frame approach though, Tiana, that sounds like a great remedy for some issues I've been having with titling, thank you.

IR

I agree with Impractical Cartographer here, writing with a nib could help you. You won't write as fast as with your usual pens but it makes you more carefull about the different stroke to trace a letter.
    Calligraphy books can be useful, too, with explanations on how to trace the letters. Even if you don't plan on using actual calligraphy on your maps, it would make you think more about the shape of the letters: once you understand it, you can try adjust it to your own style.

I end up cheating and uploading the map to my computer where Illustrator can write for me...