Thread: Help with Ytarrian tectonics?

Default Help with Ytarrian tectonics?

I thought I'd make a better map of Ytarria, the continent from GURPS Banestorm. I'm willing to tweak the landscape quite a bit, under the assumption that the map in the book is fairly inaccurate and incomplete, and really just represents common knowledge of the continent in the east.

So, I was wondering if anyone could come up with tectonics that make sense of this mess:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yrth.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	358.2 KB 
ID:	121651

Name:	Yrth.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	3.67 MB 
ID:	121652

It is brutally obvious that this game world was designed by amateurs in the 1980s, long before anyone really took worldbuilding seriously.

Here is the US overlayed on it, for size comparison:

Name:	Yrth_Scale.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	492.7 KB 
ID:	121653

As you can see, these are LARGE states. Cardiel is the size of Texas- or a bit bigger than France if you want to think of it that way- and Megalos puts the Roman Empire to shame.

I played around, but after coming up with this I knew that I was in over my head with tectonics:

Name:	YrthTectonics.png 
Views:	27 
Size:	413.5 KB 
ID:	121654

Mind you, the setting is very magical, so I can handwave a lot. For instance, canonically the Great Desert is a side-effect of a magical disaster, and the Djinn Lands are also arid for magical reasons. Further, the many circular features that often have central peaks or islands are meteorite impacts.

I was thinking that the two great lakes on the eastern side of the continent could be explained by rifting, as in Africa's Great Rift Valley, but I don't think I can make it work with the mountains to the north. It could also explain the mountains in the middle of the Emperor's Forest- volcanism.
    I'm thinking that the west coast of the continent should have a fault, like North America's. There are several endorheic lakes inland from that coast, so I sort of need a coastal range there, though it needn't be huge.

I'm quite willing to expand the continent to the west if needed, probably by extending the Orclands. (As it is that coastline looks like an afterthought.) Supposedly the northern coast of the continent around Sahud is kept warmer than it should be by a warm current coming from the west, which is hard to swallow. But magic, I guess. (Though I hate to do that.)

I'll probably have to tweak the position and size of Araterre. And Bilit Island to it's east is supposedly volcanic in origin.

My intent is to produce something that I can feed into Wilbur and run through a few zillion erosion cycles, to get something that at least looks more aesthetically pleasing.
    Last edited by acrosome; 04-14-2020 at 09:04 PM.

How about this:

Attachment 121655