Thread: Map-making Newbie says hello

Default Map-making Newbie says hello

Hi all,

I am a student-teacher working on a realistic roleplay/simulation platform for use in all phases elementary/secondary education. It's an ambitious project that I am likely not going to finish, but I'm finding in these times that it's good to have lofty goals.

I am looking for any help that might be offered in creating game maps out of satellite images of real places. I have little to no experience in this field, and I would like to know if anyone on here has any experience with this. I imagine photoshop is likely my best friend here, but any suggestions/insights would be incredibly helpful.

I am also playing around with ways to embed map tiles with region information, i.e, each tile will have a "wilderness profile" which includes things like vegetation, climate, critters present, etc. At the moment, I'm imagining inputting all this info into an excel spreadsheet and giving each tile a corresponding label or number, but again, I am widely open to suggestion.

Thanks in advance, and I hope y'all are getting along okay with "the new normal".

Zeb

Hello, welcome to the guild. Ambitious project indeed. Browse around the forums and the "how to" section. You can always show what you got, there are very expirienced artists and cartographers with good ideas willing to help.