Thread: Eastern and Western Hemispheres in FT3

Guild Apprentice

Question Eastern and Western Hemispheres in FT3

I've been trying to use real-world Earth data for a mapping project using CC3+ and FT3. I've gotten as far as downloading a binary version of ETOPO1 data from the National Geophysical Data Center, and it shows up beautifully in FT3. The folks over at ProFantasy pointed me to a projection for FT3 that would match the one shown in the Cartographer's Annual 01; an Equal Area Lambert Projection segmented so that it shows two hemispheres. However...the projection splits the Eastern and Western hemispheres at the Prime meridian, which looks which cuts off the bulge of Africa and looks ugly. I want one that shows the Americas on one and Eurasia plus Africa on the other, the way atlases and grade school maps commonly do. This needs to do the split about 20 degrees West and 160 degrees East. Unfortunately, the projection code insists on a hard left boundary of -180 degrees and a hard right boundary of 180, and does not seem to comprehend splitting off 20 degree's worth of binary data off one side of the map and moving it to the other. This would also be a problem if I wanted maps of the Pacific that cross the International Date Line.

It was suggested that I import the file into Wilbur, do a toridial rotation, and export it back, but since I've never used Wilbur, I don't know how to do that. I'm not seeing a common data format in the import/export options for either Wilbur or FT3, either. Any other suggestions?

MDR files are the way you will need to go. I don't personally use FT3 but in FTPro it would be exported as a Special Wilbur file that gives it an .MDR extension. This can be opened in Wilbur for editing. Save after edition g is done the open as a binary file in FT (you'll probably have to use the drop down and set it to "all files"). It might come in upside down at some point between the two programs.

Hopefully Waldronate (author of Wilbur) will come along with better instructions at some point, but that is the basics of it.

Hope that helps.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

First, download a copy of Wilbur ( http://www.fracterra.com/software.html ). I recommend the current version.
    Then, use Wilbur to open your ETOPO1 file (you can figure out how to do this directly, or output from FT3 as described in http://www.fracterra.com/ThereandBackAgain/index.html and then load as MDR).
    In Wilbur, use Filter>>Other>>Toroidal Rotation and enter a number of X Samples equal to 20/360*imageWidth (negative if you want to rotate counterclockwise). If your Wilbur import is 21600 pixels wide, enter 20/260*21600=1200 under "X Sample" on the toroidal rotation dialog.
    Save your image from Wilbur as an MDR file.
    Load that MDR back into FT3 as a binary import.

If you'd like to avoid Wilbur altogether, take a look at the most recent suggestion for your original question on the ProFantasy forum.

Guild Apprentice

The recent suggestion over there, to include a segment in the projection that shows the missing slice, works perfectly. Thanks for your help.

Guild Apprentice

This is what I was trying to do, or as close to it as I can get.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EarthOceanMinSLCoast.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	122037

Nicely done.