Default Nice Walls

Hello !

I'm new to this forum, and i would like to upgrade my battlemaps

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mapSousSolContrebandiers.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	295.6 KB 
ID:	122480

But le black lines are'nt very beautiful...

Have you some ideas to do some nice walls ?

Thank you !

It depends on how you're making the maps/what software you are using. A simple way in photoshop/gimp/etc. is to make a selection of the area you want your walls to be in and fill it with a texture, like stone or wood. See here for some ideas (all of it may not be relevant, but there are a lot of little tips and tricks in this tutorial): https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=27077

Ok. What you've got is a great start. Here is what I would do:

So you don't accidentally mess up what you've got already (I'm assuming it's in multiple layers) select all your layers and duplicate them. Create a folder, name it Original and put the original layers in that, turn off it's visibility and lock it.

What you're about to do is going to be done to the duplicate layers.

If you have multiple layers for the floor merge them into one layer called floors, do the same for any wall layers.

On the floor layer create an inner shadow. To do this select the pixels of your floor layer and create a Path called Floors. Create a new layer and call it Shadows or some such, select a soft round brush of appropriate size (about 1/5 your resolution) remove any shaping from the brush in your brushes palette. Select you path Floors and make a selection from it, with the path highlighted (make sure your Shadow layer is active) stroke the path with the brush, make sure your foreground colour is a deep, almost black blue. Set the Shadow layer's blend mode to multiply and play with the opacity until you get an inner shadow that you're happy with. Hand paint shadows around your objects with a much smaller brush.

On the walls layer, from your programs layer effects menu and select Bevel and Emboss, you want it to be "UP" and set to "Hard Chisel". Mess about with the settings until you're happy. Alternatively, you could create a new layer above your walls layer, call it Highlights or similar, make another selection of your floor layer and invert it, then stroke the path with a small hard round brush ( try 4 pixels first and see how it goes), once again with shaping options turned off, foreground colour should be a lightly yellow tinted white, if your'e happy with the size, play around with the highlights layer opacity and blend mode (multiply or overlay should work best) until you're happy with the end result. If you don't like the size, undo and try again with a larger or smaller brush.
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps