Thread: [WIP] Building a world from tectonics onward

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

This looks amazing so far! Will be interested to see what happens when you compare the Azelor tutorial version with the output from ExoPlaSim. Still impressed you were able to get it all running- I took one look at Nikolai's code and turned tail and ran.

Seeing these outputs makes me wonder if part of what's going on is that ExoPlaSim (and ClimaSim apparently) really like continental climates, and overstate the high summer temperatures that come with low pressure systems over land, or maybe understate the effect of high pressure systems in the wintertime. I don't know enough about how the program works to know if it's overestimating the atmospheric pressure itself, or just the temperature effects of that. Either way, maybe the trick is to figure out what attenuates atmospheric pressures systems (or their temperature effects) on Earth and determine if that also applies to our conworlds. But this is all conjecture, and I'm not really knowledgeable enough about climatology to say one way or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiluchi View Post
    Still impressed you were able to get it all running- I took one look at Nikolai's code and turned tail and ran.
    Haha yeah, there definitely was a learning curve, but it only took a few crashes before I figured out what was going on

Regarding the pressures, those are things that ExoPlaSim also exports so in theory we could extract these and see how they compare to expectation. There are actually several pressure variables written as outputs--some of which are broken down by atmosphere layer--so the trick here might be figuring out which information is relevant. Something to look into...