Quote Originally Posted by Charerg View Post
Congratz on finishing the topograhy, MrBragg! I think you must be the first one to have finished a planetary-scale elevation map built with this kind of technique and detail (makes me think I should get off my lazy arse and get some progress done on my own project).
Thanks, Charerg! I guess being stubborn does actually have some advantages Would also love to see your latest map since it was one of the big inspirations for me.

Quote Originally Posted by worldbuilding pasta View Post
1, I've done some tests lately with exoplasim runs starting with 1 meter of initial global glacial cover; it takes a bit longer for the climate to settle out, at least 50 years whereas they usually are mostly settled within 20 years otherwise, but the resulting glacial cover is a lot more accurate, as well as the global average temperature. it does make some mid-latitude areas even colder than they should be, though.
So I tried this at T42 and starting with glaciers did converge to a marginally cooler overall temperature at 300 ppm CO2 (22.4 C vs 22.9 C). Starting with <=200 ppm CO2 resulted in a snowball, though, so the hysteresis caused by starting with glaciers may constrain the accessible final temperatures somewhat.

On a somewhat related note, @worldbuilding pasta, do you have any experience running resolutions >T85? For giggles I tried everything larger and each and every one immediately crashed before the model even got going, even when using an identical input from T85 (only resolution and sra inputs changed) that worked fine.