Thread: Collaborative Cartography

Discuss Collaborative Cartography

So I know this is an idea that has been thrown around in challenge suggestions a few times but I felt deserved a little more discourse than just a poll.

The idea is to have 2 (or more) people work on the same map. This could be fun for a challenge yes, but also for any 2 cartographers from the forum with some free time, or even a fun idea to do with a partner/friend long distance.
    Now there are programs online that do let you work on a drawing at the same time however from the few I've seen they do tend to be limited in features. I also feel for this we would have to assume that both are comfortable using the same software (or not, for certain interpretations)

I've been thining about it and trying to find old threads where this may have come up and found a few ideas:
    • Pass the PSD. Work a little on a file, then send it over to the other person to do a little more on it. You could approach this with no initial plan and let the world grow from the individual contributions or both plan it together beforehand
    • Make 2 maps. Create 2 separate maps but both depict the same (collaboratively designed) land in different styles. There is an interesting variant on this where you each map from the point of view of neighbouring countries
    • Guildworld it. Each pick a country in a landmass and each draw that in your own style. While still fun I feel this doesn't have much collaboration in it
    • Commission each other. This one has been done in challenges before and yielded great results so always a fun option

Anyway, these are just a few ideas I came up with/across so interested in hearing other suggestions and opinions on this

The idea, in and of itself, is pretty cool IMHO. The only problem would be software comparability. If the file is being sent back and forth between cartographers, I would suspect that they would have to be using the same versions of the same software to avoid file conflicts/corruption's and what not. Still worth considering though, it would be cool to see what partners can produce when working together, though if John and Misty joined forces, we would all be toast.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Quote Originally Posted by Greason Wolfe View Post
    ...though if John and Misty joined forces, we would all be toast.
    The cutting edge would certainly cut deeper.

I think collaborative work would only benefit the community here. It would help people get to know each other, maybe bridging those gaps between newcomers and the stars of the site a bit further. Trading techniques would be really great as well.

As far as compatibility issues, maybe there's a sweet spot we can find that would take a bit of trial and error among the community to achieve, but would provide the foundation for easier collaboration between members. I hand draw everything, so my end is as simple as scan and go, but with as many people out there using digital means, it could lead to troubleshooting fast.

Anyhoo, great idea Ifrix, this can only deepen the relationships here, and I look forward to seeing the fruits that ripen with it.

IR

Quote Originally Posted by Greason Wolfe View Post
    if John and Misty joined forces, we would all be toast.
    True, but who wouldn't want to see the results of a collaboration of that caliber?

And yeah most of the time when this comes up the compatibility of programs is the issue that keeps getting hung up on. Which is why I'm not necessarily suggesting it as a monthly challenge. While it would be nice to pair people up of varying skill levels, it may work better with two people who already know each other and have at least some level of communication.
    I will admit there's also a personal reason for this too as it's something I'm interested in doing anyway but I thought I would open it and get ideas from the community for anyone else who had had similar thoughts before or wanted to try it with someone else too