Quote Originally Posted by morne View Post
No tutorial, but I would create a b/w mask and, in Wilbur, do Selection -> Load Selection. Then perform erosion steps as normal. I actually have started using Genbrush (https://mavichist.itch.io/genbrush) for targeted erosion and that works pretty well. Be aware, though, that I have to manually convert the raw data to tif to get my results out, since the current application only supports exporting 8-bit.

I've tried using the Arcgis Pro workflow for deriving rivers and lakes, but it ends up being difficult because of the necessity to perform a fill step. If there are too many basins that need to be filled you end up with a lot of straight rivers that pass through the filled basins which looks bad. Currently, I use World Machine to derive rivers and lakes, which for whatever reason their "find water" algorithms are more forgiving and gives better results. I take the raster output rivers from World Machine, then use the Raster -> Polyline in Arcgis Pro (Raster -> Polygon for lakes). Then I work on cleaning up errors and combining polylines to form "full" rivers. I export that into a vector program like Affinity, and create the tapered effect using variable stroke, adjusting all the rivers manually. I expand the stroke out and import back into ArcGIS Pro as polygons. It's a frustratingly manual process but it's better than hand-drawing rivers. The only thing this method lacks is any way to get river deltas.
Hello,

Sorry for reviving this thread, but I'm very curious about your river tapering technique using Affinity Designer.
Tapering indeed works very well when dealing with a single, no-branch, river, but it can't seem to work when dealing with a multi branch river.

Any tips?

Note: my river network is generated from my fantasy DEM. I import the un-tapered vectorized river network in Affinity Designer.