Thread: Seeking Worldmasters for Cooperative, Commercial Mega Project

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

So, I'm a little confused... Your competition is to submit a world of our own creation, which - if selected - you will then turn into a physical globe and sell. Is that right??

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Great question! I was just writing an email that outlined more details and I'll just copy some of it onto here.

I don't have an exact business plan, yet. I've been running with the concept in the back of my mind for a few weeks now, it would be something like this(subject to change):

First, your world/IP/Setting has to be project friendly(my call as project director) and in depth and detailed and submitted on time. That will get it a spot at this table.
    You work with me at a future point in a few years (I have to release Verrago and release some well planned expansions first)
    You design a good map of your world. Don't focus on place names, but DO focus on how you outline your areas. I'll provide a list of "best practices" for you to follow. The more I work on the map with you, the higher the % I get of your future sales. So i'm available to help, but I have to make sure I'm not overwhelmed.

We make an agreement at a future time where we agree and sign some paperwork about the art asset(s).
    Then, I'll work on the final bits, to finalize the globe for production and to handle anything else it needs. When it's ready, it's added to the online store.
    There will be some overhead production costs for you at this point. We'll see. Costs would be split along percentage lines, so if I do more work and get a higher % I will also pay a higher percent of the up front costs as well. Kickstarters to promote/fund this product will also be shared along the same percentages. You're going to run your Kickstarter for the globe no matter how much work I put into your map. Why? Because I'm one guy and these Kickstarter's shouldn't be too complicated. Feel free to use your branding to your hearts content, cross advertising and all that. I'm not here to limit you, I'm here to provide you new capability that doesn't exist without me.

We sell online, drivethruRPG and any other sales platform that makes sense. I will be managing it and sending out quarterly royalties/earnings.

Then, the sales get divided as follows(subject to change):

1. Production costs go to the manufacturer
    2. My business takes a low %, so as to focus on growing the overall size of this market
    3. The owner of the IP (you) take the rest.

This allows the consumer to blend IP's together with beautiful worlds and experience huge, wide ranges of ideas. The fun of meshing these worlds together in interesting ways is something rarely explored in the human experience because we're always so busy keeping it all secret for our big market reveal.
    Throughout this process you don't have to tell anyone anything about your IP except for me during submission and anything relevant that could be an issue between systems. Since Verrago will be releasing during this time, you'll know in detail what a potential conflict could be. I'll keep your secret safe, the US military trusted me with real secrets, so you know I won't fold under torture.

The beauty of this product is that it needs each IP to be a beautiful and unique world all it's own and that falls directly in line with what every creator is already trying to do.

I can't promise any numbers or margins now, considering that I haven't released my game yet.

As an advantage in the market, your book can advertise this globe and it will greatly increase your sales, prestige and legitimacy. I helped edit my brother's book (Ira Heinichen author of Starstuff) so I know how insanely competitive writing can be. You can apply this strategy across different mediums, all the while improving and developing your IP each medium you add.
    Last edited by Vigilus; 09-10-2020 at 03:54 PM.