Thread: The kingdom of Macer

Wip The kingdom of Macer

Hi all, that's the map I'm working at now. That would be a D&D base setting for a new campaign and is vaguely inspired to my birth province in Italy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200817_120653.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	3.95 MB 
ID:	124449

Wip

Hi all, I did something new ...

--- WIP ---

Name:	20200820_092732.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	3.89 MB 
ID:	124496

and I've just finished the first part of the map:

The domain of the great Gold Dragon
    The kingdom of Macer was born from the alliance of an adult Gold Dragon and the first king of the Macer dinasty (Alberto il Grande). The human hero helped the gold dragon to defeat the ancient red dragon that ruled this land from his home, located in the mountain at the center of "Cielo Caduto" (the big crater in the map).
    Together, man and dragon, won and formed the new Kingdom. Since then, the dragon has his own part of the territory. For royal decree, it is forbidden to enter the vast area under the domain of the dragon (for this reason the map is "covered" with the silouette of the dragon).
    Only those invited from the now Ancient wyrm, could enter the wild and misterious territory.
    The allance is so strong that the cult of Bahamut has many churches here and a big santuary. The local version of the church is devoted to the proteccion of the gold dragon nd is so bind to that rule, that the symbol of the cult is a diamond, symbolizing the shape of the dragon territory.

--- last WIP ---

Name:	20200820_234618.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	5.35 MB 
ID:	124497

Now I have a question (I have hundreds of questions,but I'm finding lot of answers in the posts of the forum). Sometimes, when I draw the first version with pencil, I press too much and a little mark remains on the paper like in the foto.

Name:	20200820_234552.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	6.43 MB 
ID:	124498
    ... and when I go to paint with my color pencil, I'm not able to fill the white lines. How can I fix this problem? Thank u

Hi, my last WIP, but before only few things:

I drawned all by hand, the only thing I did on computer is the little labeling under the cities (I drowned the shape on paper, scanned and copied with the names of places). I Used fineliner staedler and Faber Castell color pencils on Bristol ...

Name:	WIP_4.png 
Views:	24 
Size:	3.93 MB 
ID:	124559

This is the map of the Principality of Helvia Recina, the capitol city of the whole kingdom. Here are the maps of the city:

Name:	20200721_175528.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	5.64 MB 
ID:	124560

Name:	HR colore.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	3.99 MB 
ID:	124561

Hope for some suggestion, opinion and costructive critics...

Bye

Guild Journeyer

In your city, you made quarter full of houses. Even in the middle of the quarter, without road leading to it. That's quite strange : it seems that each quarter is a wall of houses. No garden, no street, even little ones (you know that road 1m large that are so common in medieval cities)

Your city is on a hill, but on a aztec pyramidal hill : one level for the city, one level for the castle. We lack the fact that a quarter is build on a slope. It's not easy putting that in a city. You add two stairways : good idea. You can make transversal little street made of one or several stairways (you know : four steps, plateform, 5 steps, platform etc). You can make the reader feel the slope this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Bindusara View Post
    In your city, you made quarter full of houses. Even in the middle of the quarter, without road leading to it. That's quite strange : it seems that each quarter is a wall of houses. No garden, no street, even little ones (you know that road 1m large that are so common in medieval cities)

Your city is on a hill, but on a aztec pyramidal hill : one level for the city, one level for the castle. We lack the fact that a quarter is build on a slope. It's not easy putting that in a city. You add two stairways : good idea. You can make transversal little street made of one or several stairways (you know : four steps, plateform, 5 steps, platform etc). You can make the reader feel the slope this way.
    Thank you for the suggestions. For the streets in the quarters you are right, I made them this way to symbolize that streets are really narrows so the roof close the wiew from above, but this is not understable so my fault. For the lack of ... tridimensional... I have to find ways to make the map better as u said. Btw the map of the city was a first attemp of mapping... so I hope to do better next time.

... and sorry for my poor english...

Wip

Hi, this my new WIP ...

Name:	20200825_222858.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	5.86 MB 
ID:	124601

I hope to finish the map next week, then I will try to write a better background for the kingdom.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkin View Post
    Sometimes, when I draw the first version with pencil, I press too much and a little mark remains on the paper like in the foto.
    Heavier paper can help, also softer graphite pencils are an option, but the softer the lead, the more they smudge, so beware. Not pressing as hard is probably your best bet though. If you pencil in everything at once, you almost have to press hard so that the lines don't become a blur by the time you're finished, that's a fine line to walk. Maybe look at your approach to the piece, I personally progress in a sectioned pencil-ink-color fashion to avoid the whole piece becoming one dark graphite smudge (it's inevitable), and that also allows me to sketch lightly because I'm so quick to ink and color.

Hope that helps, your work is only going to get better with practice, nice penmanship so far, kudos.

Great advice Adfor, I will try to do as u say, sketch a little and then ink and color. Thanks a lot.

Wip

Hi, finally I,ve finished the hand work, now I will put some label with GIMP and probably I will cover the horrible left-up corner .

I've made a lot of experiments, someones works others not, but at the end all are XPs, so I'm happy with the general result.

--Latest WIP---Click image for larger version. 

Name:	REGNO MACER1.png 
Views:	53 
Size:	5.83 MB 
ID:	124706

I will post the final result in the Finished Maps section. Bye

sorry... this is the image

Name:	REGNO MACER1.png 
Views:	31 
Size:	5.83 MB 
ID:	124707