Thread: Argona Airail

some serious work here congratz

Man, I always enjoy your work, Ilanthar
    So much thought and detail.

By Mapmage
    Thanks for the clarification.
    You're very welcome!

By Naima
    Can't rep but really nice informative scheme map.
    Thanks a lot, Naima !

By Darskeed2012
    I'm not sure that is such a great design for hanging 3 stories off the ground. SF's Cable Cars. Just a suggestion, have a small locomotive car at the front that grabs the cable and pulls the train that way rather than keeping passengers feet dangling near and edge. Personally I would want to ride in the front, even if the views are spectacular. The coach could have forward facing in the front compartment and rail and poles for standees. The drive mechanism should only be in one car to save on space, money and labor to operate the train. If the system routes are relatively level, there should be no need for massive drips like the cable cars in SF need to go up the steep hills. The cable cars are 9,000 pounds, maybe elevated tracks like Chicago and NYC did in the later 19th century would add to the steampunk look and feel.
    Thanks for those interesting points . It's a complex matter and don't forgot the "fantasy part" of it. The airail is as much driven by the operator and the station from which it depends. The city is far from being flat and my original design was something more close to an aerial tramway going up and down, above the roofs. I dropped the idea because it didn't really fit my idea of the lines covering the most of the city. You can certainly consider that the cars are not so heavy, thanks to enchanted woods and other special materials. I've also considered the elevated tracks, but it's an heavy structure that would have hidden part of the buildings and would require large boulevards & avenues.

By - JO -
    Incredible architectural work !!!
    Thank you very much ! Glad you like it my friend.

By KMAlexander
    I love it Ilanthar. Reminds me of The Flying Train (1902).
    Thanks ! Fun, I saw this great video quite recently.

BY Bindusara
    So nice! Which software did you use for 3D construction?
    Thanks ! I'm still using sketchup, though I'm not very good at it. It allows me to get the basic things and perspective.

By XploringMap
    some serious work here congratz
    Thanks a lot !

By J.Edward
    Man, I always enjoy your work, Ilanthar
    So much thought and detail.
    Thanks, John! Yeah, I'm spending quite some time to think about things, but well, it's not completely pointless.

Beautifully detailed work. I always enjoy these kinds of map from you. This one is exquisite.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

By ChickPea
    Beautifully detailed work. I always enjoy these kinds of map from you. This one is exquisite.
    Thanks a lot, CP !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12