Thread: How do you name your continents?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Member

The names of my world of Xeon are based on (Scottish) Gaelic reworked using my own alphabet, where I've introduced additional sounds and a (sort of) algorithm for converting words.

I try to consider who the dominant culture/society is on a given land mass and create a name based on their linguistic root (I base cultures on real-world ones, so that's what I derive the language from). For example, one of my continents is dominated by a Russian expy culture, so the continents name is based in Russian. I sometimes will also make notes about what another major group calls it, but that may just be because I like dwelling in the little details (to continue the above example, the same continent also has a Romani/Cossack culture that uses the same name as the dominant group, and an Inuit/Aleut culture [who are themselves a splinter group from a Polynesian/Maori expy] who recognize the dominant naming but also have their own name for the continent).

Guild Member

To expand on my continents, I named them as follows:

Harvera - Garbh Oirthir 'rough coast' (g becomes h in my language)
    Xaron'a - Cathair Āine 'city of light'
    Dhearqa - Dā Adharc 'two horns'
    Qoval'a - Cuaille 'club' as in the weapon
    Fiothyr - Fitheach Tėr 'raven land'
    Zaethyr - Deas Tėr 'south land' (d before e or i changes to z and the combination 'eas' changes to 'aeth')
    Qashqavand - Cas a' Chadha Bhāin 'foot of the white mountain pass'
    Tirvean - Tėr Mheadhain 'centre land'
    Sajeda - Saighead 'arrow'

In some cases I have reversed the normal word order from what would be normal in Gaelic to suit the name better.