Thread: How do you name your continents?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I try to consider who the dominant culture/society is on a given land mass and create a name based on their linguistic root (I base cultures on real-world ones, so that's what I derive the language from). For example, one of my continents is dominated by a Russian expy culture, so the continents name is based in Russian. I sometimes will also make notes about what another major group calls it, but that may just be because I like dwelling in the little details (to continue the above example, the same continent also has a Romani/Cossack culture that uses the same name as the dominant group, and an Inuit/Aleut culture [who are themselves a splinter group from a Polynesian/Maori expy] who recognize the dominant naming but also have their own name for the continent).

Guild Member

To expand on my continents, I named them as follows:

Harvera - Garbh Oirthir 'rough coast' (g becomes h in my language)
    Xaron'a - Cathair Āine 'city of light'
    Dhearqa - Dā Adharc 'two horns'
    Qoval'a - Cuaille 'club' as in the weapon
    Fiothyr - Fitheach Tėr 'raven land'
    Zaethyr - Deas Tėr 'south land' (d before e or i changes to z and the combination 'eas' changes to 'aeth')
    Qashqavand - Cas a' Chadha Bhāin 'foot of the white mountain pass'
    Tirvean - Tėr Mheadhain 'centre land'
    Sajeda - Saighead 'arrow'

In some cases I have reversed the normal word order from what would be normal in Gaelic to suit the name better.