Thread: West Australian DM Assistant & Mediocre Cartographer

Post West Australian DM Assistant & Mediocre Cartographer

Hey everyone,

I've been drawing maps since there was free space on the back of my year 8 maths exam, and have been working on it as a kind of soft hobby for the last 6 years on and off. I work mainly with pencil & paper, but have started to dabble with Wonderdraft and some other basic platforms in the last few months. I'm also studying digital drawing and design, so hopefully I'll increase my technical skills as time goes on.

After being recruited into a D&D crew with some friends 18 months ago, I quickly discovered that maps could have a practical use as well as an aesthetic one, and am currently working on my 3rd decent campaign map for the DM (Letting him fill out the lore, of course). Before that I mainly worked on 'world tour' style maps that specified on a fictional area based off of real life locations; For example I did an Italian Coastline, a Scottish Valley, and an Australian Desert region to name a few.

I work with a mainly realistic style, using Google Earth and travel magazines as inspiration- however have begun to incorperate stylistic location badges and perspective landmarks into my designs.

I'll probably upload scans of some of my work onto here eventually, plus future works of course.
    For now though I'll probably lurk for a bit, getting used to how you all post and whatnot.

But yeah it's cool to be here :)

Welcome to the guild.
    Hope to see some of your work here.