Hi people! So this is a bit awkward. I've been active on this forum for over 8 years now, and you'd think I have familiarized myself with all of the lingo by now... But nothing is further from the truth! One of the many concepts I still don't grasp is an encounter map.

Yes. I know. It's silly. The thing is, even though I've had my fair share of DnD clients, I never actually played any RPGs myself. So my guess is that an encounter map is something you use to liven up the story a bit? Not sure though.

Also, I've recently seen some very, VERY impressive little encounter maps, and I'd love to jump in myself. They seem like the perfect thing to do between commissions. Only, I don't really know what the requirements are:
  • Do I need a grid (I usually see them with square grids)? If so, is there a fixed size to the squares/hexagons/bestagons?
  • Are different seasons / times of day necessary? How many of each would you recommend?
  • Are there limitations to the setting? Like, there always need to be roads/rivers/...
  • Are there any lists of possible encounter locations that I can base my work on?

That, and plenty more questions that don't cross my mind right now. In short: what are encounter maps, and what do I need to know to start doing them?