Thread: A tasty RIVER oddity in the real world

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Info A tasty RIVER oddity in the real world

Huehuehue,

So, mostly we are aware that rivers don't split, well apart from very rare rivers like the one in the states that splits to go to both oceans. Strange, but true. Or the fact that we get deltas at the sea. BUT today something came to my attention, one I've heard about over the years in talking, yet never realized the significance until, I heard the Okavango Delta in Botswana, but Botswana does not border on the ocean at all. So, how can it it be a delta?

Well, as I looked to the satellite photos, it became clear, it is indeed an inland delta. To be honest, I didn't really know about inland deltas until today. One can always learn more things! Yays

A bit of info:
    "The Okavango Delta in Botswana is one of the world's largest inland deltas. While most river deltas usually lead to an ocean, the Okavango River empties onto open land, flooding the savanna and creating a unique and ever-changing inland delta"

And for a little bit of extra strangeness, its end point is in the lake Ngami. So, to my knowledge the water from the delta never goes on to an ocean.

My whole point of this discussion is the fact that rivers do indeed do some strange things in the real world. It's quite cool actually. There is a general rule, sure, but it doesn't mean stuff like this doesn't happen. So our river police guidelines should add this tidbit when we instruct newer cartographers.

Some of you might already know all of this, but it is still an interesting fact of our little blue planet.

Cheers,
    Omri
    Last edited by XCali; 11-28-2020 at 03:46 AM.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19