Thread: Lake of Broken Dreams: An entry in the July/August 2020 Lite Challenge

Default Lake of Broken Dreams: An entry in the July/August 2020 Lite Challenge

The challenge was one where we were given a shape to incorporate into our maps, and I elected to use it as a lake (which it turns out it was in origin).

I worked in GIMP and used the historical brushes made available by K. M. Alexander to beautify the map. The one issue I found with the brushes (other than that their vast numbers made GIMP load slowly) is that they range from very dark (possibly solid black) to a much lighter gray. I would advise anyone mixing the sets as I did here to use each set on a separate layer, in order to facilitate making them match in value.

It was only after I felt I had enough features (and spiffy art bits) laid down with the brushes that I added labels to give it my own touch. The place names mostly amuse me, at any rate.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lake of Broken Dreams.png 
Views:	389 
Size:	2.49 MB 
ID:	127399

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Certainly some of the names are nifty. The 'Forest of the Helpful Spiders' may be the one place in the world where spiders are advertised that I may want to visit!