Thread: Creating seamless patterns with beveled or raised edge components

Default Creating seamless patterns with beveled or raised edge components

So I am playing with making some seamless patterns for flooring. I have the base pattern done, and now I am moving on to coloring and texturing the pattern. I have a variety of colors and textures I want to use, and I would like to use bevels on the cobbles to give a more realistic feel. In doing so, the bevels are of course added to all edges of the cobbles, even those that are at the edges and should join to their counterpart on the opposite edge. I think I have an idea for how to make this work but the number of steps and manual work involved will be higher than I hoped given that I want to use this template to provide several different color options. Does anyone know of a simple way to achieve this effect?

Example of a pattern with the bevels in the wrong place.

Single tile:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StonePattern.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	492.3 KB 
ID:	127823

4x4 tiles:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	127824
    Content available for use under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0.

Okay, solved from another forum. Posting solutions here in case someone else is wondering.

1. If you use Filters > Map > Bump map, you should be able to bevel the cobbles without affecting the border of the layer.
    1a. The GIMP Decor > Add Bevel filter has an option to create the bump map for you.
    2. Create base pattern with no textures (example: 600x600 image). Double image in height and width (ex: 1200x1200). Fill with 4 tiled copies, add texture and cut the middle 600x600 section as your pattern.

- Ernie
    Content available for use under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0.

Blog Entries

I was just about to post this same solution - you just create a 3x3 swatch of the seamless tile, then bevel it and then cut out the middle tile of it.

I wrote a tut about seamless tiles. It wouldn't have worked for this bevel thing but you may find the thread interesting and it would have given you the hint on doing that cut out of the middle trick.

https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ead.php?t=1373