Thread: Riverland - how not to draw rivers

Map Riverland - how not to draw rivers

I drew this map for June/July '20 Lite Challenge, and thought I'd post it here too. The challenge was about crazy rivers, which was a way too fun challenge not to take part!

It was already last possible day when I took part, and I drew it in just a couple of hours, but it was so fun to break all the rules. Usually I'm quite strict with realistic rivers. The map is handdrawn with Micron pens and Promarkers, 17 x 17 cm (7" x 7").

The Riverland is a mystical land far away, known for its many rivers. Curiously enough, the rivers in Riverland don't seem to follow any natural rules of how rivers should behave. The Riverland is not densely populated, there are just two towns, Meander City and Stream Town. People of the Riverland has been trying to find the best waterway to travel between those two cities, but in the end it proved impossible, so the people decided to built a road. Confused by the devious rivers, the road makes some meanders too, and it's drawn to the map as accurately as possible.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Riverland_Orbigraphia.png 
Views:	175 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	127551

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Riverland_2_Orbigraphia.png 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	127552
    www.orbigraphia.com - More maps also in instagram @orbigraphia

Not sure about rivers shape, but I love your clean style and simple colors

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Nice style but... as a member of the river police my mind is collapsing in on me and turning to mush

Quote Originally Posted by Narwen View Post
    Not sure about rivers shape, but I love your clean style and simple colors
    Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    Nice style but... as a member of the river police my mind is collapsing in on me and turning to mush
    Thanks! I don't know if I was clear enough but the point of the map is that all the rivers are intentionally so wrong as they could ever be. The aim of the challenge was for once forget everything about being a river police!
    www.orbigraphia.com - More maps also in instagram @orbigraphia

Quote Originally Posted by Meton View Post
    Thanks! I don't know if I was clear enough but the point of the map is that all the rivers are intentionally so wrong as they could ever be. The aim of the challenge was for once forget everything about being a river police!
    Not so much forget about the river police as thumb your nose at them with your many river crimes. Which you did quite thoroughly!