Thread: Text/ Naming Software

Guild Applicant

Question Text/ Naming Software

Hey, i've been working on a map for a friend of mine and i've gotten to the stage of adding names/ locations to the map but my handwriting is shoddy and I don't trust myself not to screw it up. Do any of you guys know about any good software or methods to do this sort of thing? For context i'm working in photoshop and would prefer something free if necessary (i'm a student). Thanks in advance and sorry if this is the wrong thread, i'm new here.

You... don't know about fonts? Hand lettering is optional. Most people don't do it. I do it sometimes but only if it's right for the map. Just go to https://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=603 and look through their free handwriting fonts. Tons of options. Lots of other options if 'hand lettered' wasn't the goal of your look. Always good options. https://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=403

Windows fonts, you just double click on it and click 'install font' in the pop up. Or put it in the right folder on your computer. Easy.

It's not 'handwriting' though. If you have a drawing tablet, think of it as drawing each letter and it'll come to you. Don't write like you would quickly, draw the letter form, really paying attention to it, and erase and redo it if necessary. I can't tell you how many times I re-letter when I hand letter a map. I draw each name dozens of times... it's really quite insane. Definitely optional. Most people just use fonts. If you're asking for specific fonts, well, there are people here with suggestions of favorites who I'm sure will show up. I don't have any real 'go to' choices... I have such a huge font library from buying font megapacks by now... heh... there are thousands in my library. Just pick a few that you like and try them.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

If you’re using Photoshop I would just use a nice classic font that is readable like Garamond or some other serif typeface. I personally am not a fan of really ornate fonts for MPs because they’re very difficult to read.

- Josh