Quote Originally Posted by Kisachik the Wanderer View Post
Hi wmnish!

Your dragons are super cool! I am wondering, what kind of tools do you use? What paper, pens or markers, coloured pencils and so on. The colours look very saturated, and seem to have a wax crayon texture. It reminds me of a set that I have that are so beautiful that I'm unable to use them without drawing the entire rainbow.

I'd love to hear about your process, you have a unique style.

Also how do you capture your work? Do you use a scanner, or a digital camera?
Hi Kisachik
Pictured below is pretty much my full inventory of materials for this project.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210115_132138.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	3.69 MB 
ID:	127779

In terms of my process; I start by pencilling in my design, usually with a 2H pencil. After this I ink in all the lines with the dip pens and black ink (this is usually the most time-consuming part of the process), when I'm done with the inking in I go through and erase any remaining visible pencil. Finally, I go through and apply colour with my range of colouring pencils, I have been using Faber-castell classic colours for a while now but I'm gradually moving over to the Polychromos range as my current pencils run out and as I want to increase my range of colours. In terms of achieving the colour saturation I have found that the choice of paper is very important; I use 200gsm cold-pressed watercolour paper as this has really good colour pickup, and the ink doesn't bleed or soak through it.

To digitise my work I scan it using the pictured scanner. In terms of scanners this is nothing special, my wife and I needed a printer and I also wanted a scanner so this is the cheapest colour printer/scanner available from warehouse stationery. After scanning I usually use the built-in "Photos" application in windows to rotate and crop the image and I will often also darken it a little bit and maybe increase the colour saturation slightly as the scanner sometimes washes out the image a little bit.

I hope that answers all your questions, I have been thinking about writing up an article about my process and how it's changed over time for my website so I may post something more detailed there sometime in the next month or two if I get time.