Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: January 2021 challenge : The premature fall of the city of Karaz Karkom

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    Looks very cool. The only problem I think is that it makes me want to see the rest of the city too
    Thanks... I think I'm gonna wait for the "draw an underground dwarf city challenge", and then I'll add some halls

Quote Originally Posted by mapmage View Post
    I really can't wait to see the finished product
    Thanks a lot ! I hope it'll be as good as you hope !

Quote Originally Posted by Greason Wolfe View Post
    This is looking killer already. Would love to do these kind of maps myself, but I just don't have a knack (or the patience) for them.
    Thanks ! Actually, you should try... I don't think it's a tremendous work, and there is a really good tutorial by Guillaume Tavernier that you can find on Youtube... very inspiring !

Quote Originally Posted by Kisachik the Wanderer View Post
    The tracks don't seem to match the dragon's paws. Did he get so fat on all the dwarf loot? They must have had a pantry stocked for years. Is there more to the story?
    Thanks a million for you comment ! You are absolutely right !!! I redid the paws a lot bigger... and now, I'm questioning the cave entrance and the gates of the treasure hall...
    I don't know if I'll have time to write more of this story... and I'm already concern by the too little space I left on the upper right corner for explanation. If I find time, I'll try to "dig deeper" in this story !

Hm, now that you mention it, I also notice the dragon would hardly fit through the tunnels and doors. But since there's not much else in the scene, maybe resizing him would be easier and faster? It would certainly make the city appear larger, and I've noticed that you don't have anything else in the scene yet suggesting the true scale of either the city or the dragon (if we consider the treasure hoard part of the dragon). So if he was just a little bit smaller, but then you added, say, tiny pickaxes and other things left behind by the dwarves in the tunnels, it would still show the dragon as huge, and the city monumental.

I think the story belongs in the thread that goes with the map. You made the right choice by making that space small. I find a large block of text on any map extremely off-putting. A short summary is way more attractive. When I see an interesting map in the thumbnails collection, I usually click on the thread to find out more anyway. As they say, less is more, although I find it takes a lot of discipline not to break this rule.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dragons are like cats, they can squeeze through places that you wouldn't think just to look at them.

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    Thanks... I think I'm gonna wait for the "draw an underground dwarf city challenge", and then I'll add some halls
    Wait... Is that a challenge which is going to occur? Do you have the inside scoop?
    Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    Dragons are like cats, they can squeeze through places that you wouldn't think just to look at them.
    I agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisachik the Wanderer View Post
    Hm, now that you mention it, I also notice the dragon would hardly fit through the tunnels and doors. But since there's not much else in the scene, maybe resizing him would be easier and faster? It would certainly make the city appear larger, and I've noticed that you don't have anything else in the scene yet suggesting the true scale of either the city or the dragon (if we consider the treasure hoard part of the dragon). So if he was just a little bit smaller, but then you added, say, tiny pickaxes and other things left behind by the dwarves in the tunnels, it would still show the dragon as huge, and the city monumental.

I think the story belongs in the thread that goes with the map. You made the right choice by making that space small. I find a large block of text on any map extremely off-putting. A short summary is way more attractive. When I see an interesting map in the thumbnails collection, I usually click on the thread to find out more anyway. As they say, less is more, although I find it takes a lot of discipline not to break this rule.
    I scaled down the dragon and added gold... more gold for the dragon... he's smaller but happy !

Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    I did put the dragon on a fast diet... I didn't want him to get stuck in the entrance of the cavern, his head in the hallway and his tail showing through the waterfall, that would have looked ridiculous...

Wait... Is that a challenge which is going to occur? Do you have the inside scoop?
    I haven't any insider news, but I know we can make propositions for challenge's theme... there must be a post on the forum, I think

Had some time today and finished (?) inking...

Smaller dragon, bigger paws traces, more gold, dwarf statues...
    feel free to comment and critic, it’s helpful !

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	084B9C6B-9A5D-47B3-AEF1-1E73E4308469.jpeg 
Views:	48 
Size:	3.87 MB 
ID:	127869

It's looking soooo good. Those rocks at the bottom of the river are so well done. For me the main entrance and the inside main hall don't line up, or don't look like they do (maybe there are unseen steps going down on the inside?). I love the cliff texture you did but maybe the map would benefit if that area was more anchored between the outside and inside?

It's looking soooo good. Those rocks at the bottom of the river are so well done. For me the main entrance and the inside main hall don't line up, or don't look like they do (maybe there are unseen steps going down on the inside?). I love the cliff texture you did but maybe the map would benefit if that area was more anchored between the outside and inside?
    Thanks a lot for your comment, that’s very helpful !

You are right about this hallway... it’s not right lined with the main entrance, there must be some stairs. (I’ll see if I might be able to move to line the hallway)

The perspective and the difference of look between the outer and inner part is the main difficulty of this map... I made some trial, I think it’ll look better when I’ll add the waterfall. I should be able to post a WIP with colors soon (I hope)... tell me what you think of it
    Last edited by - JO -; 01-21-2021 at 03:16 AM.

Wow, you're unstoppable !
    Splendid and flawless lineart so far. Looking forward to see it coloured!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast