Thread: First Time GIMPer - Looking for advice/critique

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default First Time GIMPer - Looking for advice/critique

Hello, all!

Very new to the world of fantasy map-making, and wanted to try out a couple of digital mediums. Currently working between Medibang Paint for the sketching on my phone, and GIMP on my computer to arrange layers and put everything together.

Wanted to get everyone's opinions on the rivers I've just added to my coastline. I really like the way the coastline came out, but I feel like the rivers might have too similar of an aesthetic to the coastline to really differentiate them well? I'd also like to see if any of the "River Police" are online, and could give me some pointers about the placements of my rivers.

You'll see two versions of the same map here. One is just the coastline, plus the rivers/lakes. The other is my VERY rough brushing of where I plan to insert mountains, hills, forests, marshes, and a tundra. In that brushing, red=mountains, yellow=hills, green=forests, dark teal=marshes, and light teal=tundra.

Please let me know what you think, and whether you have any pointers on how I might set my rivers apart a little more.

Thanks, guys!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CoastlineWithRiversAndLakes.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	127801   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TerrainWithRiversAndLakes.png 
Views:	37 
Size:	577.6 KB 
ID:	127802