Thread: Hommlet revisited.

Guild Novice

Wip Hommlet revisited.

Hi all,
    I have recently gotten back into D&D and decided to do a game based around Hommlet but the map was a bit dated in my original copy so I decided to try and redraw it using CC3 in Schley style.
    I used Painter to add some of the ground effects, using the smudge chalk effect combined with the air brush. It does not look quite right to me, any tips?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hommlet 4.PNG 
Views:	153 
Size:	7.17 MB 
ID:	127958
    Found in a computer dictionary..Recursive - see recursive...
    Software used - Campaign Cartographer 3, DD3 and CC3.

To me it looks pretty darn good. Perhaps the wrongness you are perceiving is the hard edges of the hills and grasses? I'd also suggest using a different background colour than white, or covering it up on the ground. If you are going for more realism then as it appears to be an area with regular rain fall I'd also fill in the open areas with vegetative colors and put some of the brown under the forests. There is also the issue of outlines which may be causing your issue, in that none of the ground features are textured or outlined like the buildings and trees, and there may be a style disconnect that doesn't feel right. Try outlining the roads and river and it may help.

Guild Novice

Thanks for the feedback, that is really helpful. I shall definitely do something about the lack of vegetative colours and the brown. What sort of brush effect would you use?
    Found in a computer dictionary..Recursive - see recursive...
    Software used - Campaign Cartographer 3, DD3 and CC3.