Thread: Simulating a hand-drawn aesthetic in Inkscape

Default Simulating a hand-drawn aesthetic in Inkscape

I really like the hand-drawn aesthetic, but I have zero artistic ability. So I have spent quite a bit of time seeing how close I could come to replicating it with software (specifically, in this case, Inkscape). I feel like through the use of the sketch path effect and a filter I developed for converting a gradient to hatching, I did a pretty decent job. Just thought I would share what I came up with here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PnK83gj.png 
Views:	76 
Size:	380.7 KB 
ID:	128077  

I think it looks fantastic! The only trick now would be to figure out how to replicate that hand-drawn style with assets that you might put in the dungeons themselves. You know: statues, chests, acid traps that'll burn your face off, that sort of thing!

It looks like you really do have a good thing going here. How hard is Inkscape to use? I've only ever played around with GIMP so far. Not really familiar with the other digital media options.

Missed this until now!

Looks great. I *love* the hatching effect around the edges. That's really well done. My only suggestion would be to change the shape of some of the rectangles a little, to make them less uniform. The sketch effect is very good, but I think it would look even more natural if you perhaps scaled or rotated the rectangles just a touch, or moved them out of alignment by a small amount to make them a little less regular. This is a small nitpick, though. Overall it looks great and, as a big Inkscape fan, it's great to see new maps using the software.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

fantomx11, would you be willing to share how you created the hatching around the walls?