Thread: Jan/Feb '21 Lite Challenge: Rivdanalli Port

Default Jan/Feb '21 Lite Challenge: Rivdanalli Port

Rivdanalli is a little town on the small island called Noklick or Notclict, which maintains an independent existence between the spheres of the old Dual Monarchy of Gavorna and the Ascendancy of Nalbonna. While it rarely attracts major attention, Rivdanalli is a crossroads of the seas, always full of little schemes and intrigues, a common stopping-off point and recruiting ground for expeditions base and noble, legitimate and criminal. In short, it is a promising base of operations for a group of ambitious opportunists ready to take risks to improve their standing in the world.

No WIP yet, as I've only done a rough sketch that won't photograph well. Haven't quite decided yet to go traditional media again or back to digital with this challenge.

There are a couple of lighthouses (with homes for the keepers), a tattoo parlour, fish processing, a fish market, boat repair, fishing & boat supply store, harbormaster's office, town watch posts, a fortune teller, inns, taverns, warehouses, a den of vices, an All-Faiths' Shrine, and a goggle emporium (next to the airfield; there are dirigibles and ornithopters in the setting). Am I missing any obvious buildings I should have?

Welcome to the Challenge rdanhenry! Sounds like you haves some great ideas, looking forward to seeing it develop!

I hope you enter, sounds like it could be an interesting map.

Well, I have things laid out. I do hope to get some vehicles added and maybe suggest some building features, but I don't think I'll try for any color during the challenge. Maybe after.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2811.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	800.9 KB 
ID:	128349

I'm liking what you have so far. Are you including a legend?
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Good Layout, looking forward to seeing more.

I like the little island :-)
    There is something about little islands that appeals to me!

Legend added.

Little islands on the coast not only make for a more interesting landform, they also draw attention to the nigh-eternal struggle between land and sea, normally a little outpost of stronger stone that has resisted (for the moment) the wearing erosion of the waves that has carved away the coast around it. They are testimonies to the geological processes constantly reshaping the world, mocking our attempts to capture reality in maps that will soon be outdated.

Anyway, this is it. Not only managed to get some vehicles drawn (something I need to work on) and added the legend, but I also created a town shield for Rivdanalli.

I'm thinking of sticking to digital for urban mapping in the future. Natural features are more suitable to the working of the drawing hand. Straight lines and regular shapes are so much easier in a graphics program!

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ravdanalli Port half size.png 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	128379

Nice Work!