Thread: Looking for Recommendation - Basic Drafting Table Setup

Default Looking for Recommendation - Basic Drafting Table Setup

Good morning, Guild!

I'm just getting started in some pen & paper methods of map-making, and I'm looking for recommendations from the experts. Specifically, I'm looking to see if anyone has a recommendation for a basic/simple drafting table they would recommend for the hobby. I have gotten a set of pretty awesome Faber Castell graphite pencils and some pretty great erasers to go with them. I'm just missing the workspace to use them in.

Sure, I have a couple of tables to work on in the house, but I've seen some very nice, angled drafting tables out there that I imagine are a dream to work on. I just don't know where to look for one of my own.

So, how do you folks go about your map-making adventures? I know plenty of you use digital-only mediums, so I'm open to those ideas as well.

Thanks in advance!

Exciting being at the beginning of a new hobby.

I'm mainly digital and even if you end up going digital yourself, a good foundation with pen/pencil on paper will be invaluable. I'd simply say use whatever desk is available and get started. Once you know you're into it then invest in a specific table.

Alternatively you could just use a decent adjustable table easel, which also has the advantage of leaving you a flat surface to put you implements on without them rolling away.

Thanks for the replies, folks. I'll keep an eye out for an adjustable table easel.

Would you recommend something more like this, or more like this?

Keep in mind that it is probably harder to use rulers and stuff on them, but you can always take them off and lay them flat on the table for that sort of thing and then back up for drawing. Going off those two links I'd actually recommend this one (Hopefully that link will work). What I see about this on that I like is that it a) has a top clamp, this will allow you to stably use different boards and work surfaces that more correctly match the dimensions of your project, and b) it has good dimensions on it's support arms for the angle adjustment (for instance in your first link the box on has very short metal ones and I think you'd end up tightening them all the time and they'd still slide) adjustment is also as easy as dropping the supports in a new slot, but you wont get fine angle adjustment, c) it has little hook things on the front feet to keep it anchored to the edge of the desk so it wont be sliding all of the place when you press on it. The "c" problem can be solved with weights for most of them though so it is less of a concern.

The second advantage of a top clamp is that you can clip or tape your projects to different boards and just switch out the board when you want to switch projects and they are ready to go with no more prep.